Pirate Deck with Broadsword Mercenary Cruiser

Post your decklists, dissect the meta, and gripe about OP cards.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Pirate Deck with Broadsword Mercenary Cruiser

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:15 pm

At the risk of giving away my deck secrets (it will be modified for the next game), but for the benefit of the community, here's my first customized deck that won against SolomanMedici's Alien Consortium.

The Deck

:ship
Broadsword Mercenary Cruiser

:contract / :complication (all cards x2) - total cards: 20
Smuggler's Run / Crooked Customs
Rhal'Kais Commission / Luxury Tax
Flex Ticket / A Favor Returned
The Baron's Tour / Local Entanglements
Tukera Lines Subcontract / Cryptic Rider
TAS Inspection / Old Debts
In the Presence of Mine Enemies / Firefight
Trans-Shipping / Last Minute Revisions
Corporate Contraband / Friends from Before
Witness Relocation / Wanted!

:crew - total cards: 15
Vorn Drusus
Walter Glen, IMC (ret) x2
Marta Rodriguez x2
Gvaerrggoursu x3
Jim Thorne x2
Sir Cynewulf Jauregg x2
Euphrasie Fleta x3

:upgrade - total cards: 15
Improved Defenses
RVD Overtuned Thruster Plate
False Registry Markings x2
SureShot Missle Turret x2
Narda Systems 150-Mj Laser x2
Missile Barbette x2
Tactical Display x2
Dreaded Visage x3

:heroics - total cards: 12
Psychic Theft x2
Reap the Whirlwind x2
Aggravated Assault x3
Dance Among the Heavens x2
Prey on the Weak x3

:event - total cards: 14
Glitch
Cold Engine x2
Strategic Serenity x2
Predatory Tactics x3
Recruitment! x3
Homesick x3

:gear - total cards: 2
Armed Gig
Body Pistol

:connection - total cards: 2
Aunt Crow, Bartender
Crazy Eddy's Discount Depot
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Re: Pirate Deck with Broadsword Mercenary Cruiser

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 am

Since you were making a piracy deck, which considerations guided your Adventure Deck creation?

And how did the :heroics work for you? We've made them to be what we think of as fairly powerful, especially expert level effects, since they require a bit of setup to use.

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:29 pm

My first thought, and my first failure, with creating this deck was that I was going to treat it as a 20 card deck, but then just have 3 of each card. However, as I have not opened up my boxed set, I do not have access to 3 of each card. Now, my opponent and I have agreed that low-quality printed cards are okay, so I may well have 3 of each card for the next game, but I decided to go for the "honest" pirate deck this time.

In designing I started with the :complication's. I didn't plan on doing any of the :contract's so I just ignored those. I focused on :complication's that would cause my opponent to spend more :ev either as a cost or by returning cards to their hand that they would then have to bring out again.

For this deck, the :upgrade's were going to be just as important as the :crew, so I had an equal amount of both, and that was half the deck. In hind sight, I might have been able to do with more to make sure I got what I wanted out early, before all that :infamy would bump up the cost.

For :crew, I actually made the mistake of thinking that I could use :jack for :heroics, but I caught it before the actual game and redid the ones I had added. This is one thing that might need a bit of an adjustment.

For :heroics and :event, I love them for one use: :ev payments! The abilities are a bonus, and extra nice in a pirate deck because your :infamy doesn't add to their costs. In terms of how I used the :heroics specifically, however:
  • Psychic Theft - intent was to stall opponent fromgaining :vp, however I didn't need to, but I also didn't get the only :psionic :crew out until 5th or 6th round.
  • Reap the Whirlwind - intent was, obviously combat. When I used them I used both of them twice to great effect!
  • Aggravated Assault - I only used this once. Not much of my deck had to do with dealing :wounds.
  • Dance Among the Heavens - I used it once, and after that it was in play so I assumed I couldn't play my second one.
  • Prey on the Weak - only used it once. Not as effective as I was thinking it would be. Maybe I just didn't have the right circumstances
Both :gear and :connection were afterthoughts. After playing, however, I have to say I found Aunt Crow, Bartender to be SUPER AWESOME!!! I love that card!

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Frewfrux wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:29 pm

[*]Dance Among the Heavens - I used it once, and after that it was in play so I assumed I couldn't play my second one.
You could play further copies. There's no rule against having an identically named :upgrade in play (or :gear or :connection...), just :crew are so restricted.

Frewfrux

Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:39 pm

:o :o :o :o :o

I actually did not know that. I played as if all my :upgrade's were unique.

Loadgoldandgo

Post by Loadgoldandgo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm

I built a deck with a similar concept using the Broadsword that was successful recently. I'll try to put together a deck list and discuss my thoughts.

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Loadgoldandgo wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm
I built a deck with a similar concept using the Broadsword that was successful recently. I'll try to put together a deck list and discuss my thoughts.
We'd love to see it!

Buzz Saiyan

Free Trader Network Member
Term 1
Medals:1

Post by Buzz Saiyan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:02 pm

The confirmation I have been chasing on connection uniqueness was hiding in plain sight! So Beowulf can have 2 Aunt Crow in play! Sweet :D
Horizon Jeff wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm
Frewfrux wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:29 pm

[*]Dance Among the Heavens - I used it once, and after that it was in play so I assumed I couldn't play my second one.
You could play further copies. There's no rule against having an identically named :upgrade in play (or :gear or :connection...), just :crew are so restricted.