Capacity Tokens

Post your decklists, dissect the meta, and gripe about OP cards.
Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Capacity Tokens

Post by Cpt Ric » Mon May 11, 2020 5:32 pm

With all this time off I'm really looking into the game way more than I have had before. One thing I find interesting is the appropriation of the Capacity Tokens. As in, how "easy" it is to get a particular capacity. Breaking it down:

:passenger can be gotten with 4 different tokens - :passenger :cargopassenger :passengermilitary :passengersurvey
:military has 3 options - :military :passengermilitary :militarysurvey
:survey also has 3 - :survey :militarysurvey :passengersurvey
and :cargo only 2 - :cargo :cargopassenger

These two don't exist in the current set of tokens: :cargomilitary :cargosurvey Maybe they will in the future. :subplot

It just seems odd to me that :cargo only has two. This seems like a capacity that should be on par with :passenger. The one advance capacity that I find really off to me is :militarysurvey Not sure why but that one just seems to be "weird", why not :cargomilitary ? or :cargosurvey ? that just seems like a more likely capacity of a ship. Wouldn't hauling :cargo be a natural thing for nearly all ships? As it appears that hauling :passenger is standard for all ships.

Of course the game works fine so it's not a play balance issue, I just thought is was interesting. - Ric :ship

korric
Term 1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Capacity Tokens

Post by korric » Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 pm

More ships have :cargo (this includes :cargopassenger ) than any other capability except for :passenger . The tokens have nothing to do with that.

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue May 12, 2020 10:00 pm

We definitely didn't start with any grand plan when we planned out the capabilities that exist. It was more about the kinds of ships we were making at the time.

Future capability types are definitely possible, but I think we'd have to see clearly what we want to achieve with them. :passengermilitary, though "existing" from the start, only just got their entry into the game with the Bounty Hunter and Gazelle.

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Wed May 13, 2020 6:04 am

korric wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 pm
More ships have :cargo (this includes :cargopassenger ) than any other capability except for :passenger . The tokens have nothing to do with that.
Roger that! Just based on the token distribution the one that you have the highest likelihood of running out tokens for is :cargo, which just seems odd. Also it gives an "intent" of what the possible combinations will be for ship capacity. Which means, it appears that :cargomilitary :cargosurvey will never exist for a :ship which just seems odd to me.

EDIT - "Running out" is the wrong verbiage. What I mean is "running out of ways to get it", not literally the token. As in, there are fewer combinations for :cargo so it has less "options" to get that capacity.

Like I said the game is not broken because of this, clearly it's a great game as is. It just seemed a bit odd to me that of all of them :cargo seemed to have gotten the "short straw".
Last edited by Cpt Ric on Wed May 13, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Ric

Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Wed May 13, 2020 6:12 am

Horizon Jeff wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:00 pm
We definitely didn't start with any grand plan when we planned out the capabilities that exist. It was more about the kinds of ships we were making at the time.

Future capability types are definitely possible, but I think we'd have to see clearly what we want to achieve with them. :passengermilitary, though "existing" from the start, only just got their entry into the game with the Bounty Hunter and Gazelle.
Understood. And of course now if you were to add :cargomilitary :cargosurvey that would need a new token, not an easy thing to add. But with one new token it could have these two on it and you're done. And I really started to notice this when I was building the Gazelle :ship deck that I've been testing the past few evenings. Up until then I didn't really pay much attention to the distribution.

Again I just found this to be an interesting observation.

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Ian » Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 am

There was a point in development when we discussed whether to complete the cycle or not. We decided that we were satisfied with the current complement of advanced capability tokens. As Jeff said, there may be a reason to add the others later, but it is interesting.

On a related note, :military contracts/complications printed before the POD ships would likely have been different if a :military ship was in our original batch, besides the obvious that there would have been more of them.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

Cpt Ric

Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Sun May 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Horizon Ian wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 am
There was a point in development when we discussed whether to complete the cycle or not. We decided that we were satisfied with the current complement of advanced capability tokens. As Jeff said, there may be a reason to add the others later, but it is interesting.

On a related note, :military contracts/complications printed before the POD ships would likely have been different if a :military ship was in our original batch, besides the obvious that there would have been more of them.
Roger that. When I played back in original game, we mostly played Mercenary (ie :military ) type adventures/campaigns. Hiring out to some government or a rebel faction. In between we'd do scavenger hunt type campaigns, seeking out lost civilizations or colonies or some such. We didn't do much merchant type stuff. I don't think we ever did an official campaign, always one of us in the group wrote up the adventure/campaign. Ahh... back in the day.... ;)