Infirmary

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Infirmary

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Normally, if there isn't a mechanism in the description of a card that limits it's use (like the :exert or :limited limitations) then the ability can be used as often as the player can afford it, right?

The Infirmary card, however, lack both a limitation and a cost. I would assume that the text "Restore 2 :wounds distributed between 1 or more of your :crew" means that you can only do this once, but the card doesn't have an indication of that. The main reason I think it can only be used once is that it would, otherwise, be quite powerful, allowing you to literally heal all :wounds's and making the following text irrelevant.

Just wanting to make sure my assumption here is actually the case and I'm not missing something.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Re: Infirmary

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Frewfrux wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 pm
Normally, if there isn't a mechanism in the description of a card that limits it's use (like the :exert or :limited limitations) then the ability can be used as often as the player can afford it, right?
Correct, if it is an activated ability.
Frewfrux wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 pm
The Infirmary card, however, lack both a limitation and a cost. I would assume that the text "Restore 2 :wounds distributed between 1 or more of your :crew" means that you can only do this once, but the card doesn't have an indication of that. The main reason I think it can only be used once is that it would, otherwise, be quite powerful, allowing you to literally heal all :wounds's and making the following text irrelevant.

Just wanting to make sure my assumption here is actually the case and I'm not missing something.
Infirmary is not an activated effect as it has no cost. Note that it is theoretically possible for an activated ability to have a cost of :credit0 and no other requirements, thereby being available for generation without limit, but currently no card works that way.

Infirmary, and cards like it, where an ability is listed with no cost have persistent effects. These effects occur if/when their conditions are met, but are not repeatable within the round.

See page 24 of the rulebook for more information.

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6

Re: Infirmary

Post by Frewfrux » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 am

I get it. I think the fact that it is a persistent effect that specifies a Phase is what makes it seem a little different to me. It happens again and again every Ready Phase, which make it different than a +1 :av effect from a card that is just "there."

Still that does make sense, I just wasn't thinking about it quite right, even though I did come to the right conclusion. :)
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+