Multiple Captains Resolving same Contract

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Gatsby Seeker

Easter Egg
Term 1
Medals:1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator
Multiple Captains Resolving same Contract

Post by Gatsby Seeker » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 pm

I still can’t get my head around this.

Can someone provide an example of the Resolution Phase with three Captains and two succeed?

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Multiple Captains Resolving same Contract

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Sure!

Example 1:

Captains Leela (Type S Scout), Ziff (Beowulf) and Brannigan (Subsidized Merchant, cause it's got curves) are all pursuing In The Presence of Mine Enemies. Image It has two attached :complication, and the play order is Ziff, Brannigan and Leela.

1. Ziff, as the first captain, selects a :complication and resolves it.
2. Brannigan, as the second captain, selects a :complication and resolves it.
3. Leela finds it has no complications, so she passes. Because it had no :complication when she passed, she is eligible even though she did not complete any :complication.
4. It comes back around to Ziff, who passes. He is now eligible.
5. Brannigan passes. He is eligible.

Then, all eligible captains may attempt to resolve it.

1. Ziff spends the :passenger and :combat+, resolving the contract. He also has :science- for the second :subplot .
2. Brannigan cannot complete the contract because he has no :combat+.
3. Leela completes the contract and has :medical+ and :science-.

Ziff gains 4 :vp (3 from the :contract because the :contract :vp are reduced by 1 since multiple captains completed it).
Brannigan gains 0 :vp.
Leela gains 6 :vp (3 from :contract, 2 from first :subplot and 1 from the second).

Example 2:

Same set up as before.

1. Ziff resolves a :complication.
2. Brannigan cannot resolve the :complication, so he passes. Since he passes when the :contract has attached :complication, he is ineligible.
3. Leela resolves the remaining a :complication.

Ziff and Leela are both eligible, and may resolve the :contract.

Gatsby Seeker

Easter Egg
Term 1

Post by Gatsby Seeker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:31 am

Follow up:
When does the card get removed to the discard pile and replaced by the owner?

Since all Captains have a try at it before it is removed ... I’m thinking card removal is done after all Captains in the game have went through Contract resolution (on that mission or a different one).

Example: there are Captains a b and c. That is also their initiative order. A and c are in the same contract. B is in a different one.

A resolves contract. B resolves contract. C resolves contract.

Then who removes which contract first? I’d say it goes by owner in initiative order.

But am I doing it wrong?

Gatsby Seeker

Easter Egg
Term 1

Post by Gatsby Seeker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:34 am

Or is it just that the resolved Contract card gets immediately removed and replaced after all Captains pursuing that Contract have suceeded, failed or passed according to their Initiative?

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12

Post by Wargfn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:15 pm

Gatsby Seeker wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:34 am
Or is it just that the resolved Contract card gets immediately removed and replaced after all Captains pursuing that Contract have suceeded, failed or passed according to their Initiative?
The Contract get replaced after all eligible Captains pursing that Contract have succeeded, failed, or passed. So in other words once the last eligible Captain pursuing the Contract have a chance to fulfill it. So if you are pursing the contract and have had a chance to fulfill it, but cant meet a requirement becomes uncommitted if that Contract is removed from play.

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Wargfn wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:15 pm
Gatsby Seeker wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:34 am
The Contract get replaced after all eligible Captains pursing that Contract have succeeded, failed, or passed. So in other words once the last eligible Captain pursuing the Contract have a chance to fulfill it. So if you are pursing the contract and have had a chance to fulfill it, but cant meet a requirement becomes uncommitted if that Contract is removed from play.
This is correct. But technically there should be a separate stage to the Resolution Phase to make this work more smoothly. We will address it in errata.

Traveller-Jake

Free Trader Network Member Easter Egg
Term 1

Post by Traveller-Jake » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm

I wondered about this one too, since the rulebook seemed to say the :contract is removed as soon as someone resolves it but also says that more than one captain can complete a :contract .
To be clear, :complication are cleared as soon as a Captain resolves them, right? That means competing Captains don't have to all resolve every :complication, and could in fact team up to resolve a particularly :complication heavy :contract .

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Traveller-Jake wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm
I wondered about this one too, since the rulebook seemed to say the :contract is removed as soon as someone resolves it but also says that more than one captain can complete a :contract .
To be clear, :complication are cleared as soon as a Captain resolves them, right? That means competing Captains don't have to all resolve every :complication, and could in fact team up to resolve a particularly :complication heavy :contract .
Correct. And this is an area where :initiative really matters, because if you're the first captain, you get to choose which :complication to attempt ahead of your opponent.

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7

Post by Cpt Ric » Wed May 13, 2020 4:36 pm

This explanation with the examples is fantastic. Only playing solo so much of the time, I really had no idea how this would work. This should be in the rule book. I've printed it off to keep handy as a reference.

Thanks much!! - Ric :ship