Clarification about Expending EV

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
RKFM

Kickstarter Backer
Medals:1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator
Clarification about Expending EV

Post by RKFM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:58 pm

I haven't played many CCGs, so this may seem obvious to veterans but I'm unclear about expending cards from the top of the captain's deck to pay for expenses. If I have a :credit2 and I want to pay for it by expending cards from the top of my captain's deck, do I draw 2 cards from the top of my captain's deck (1 :ev for each card), or do I turn over the top card and apply that cards :ev value? I'm guessing the first, but would like some clarification.

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Clarification about Expending EV

Post by Horizon Jeff » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm

We're glad you've decided to deepen your CCG experience with Traveller!

You would turn over the first card of your captain's deck and apply its :ev. If the card's :ev is sufficient to cover the cost, then you're done. If not, you need to decide whether to spend another card from your captain's deck or if you'll pick one from your hand, and this process is repeated until the total cost has been met.

So two important points:

1. Whether expending from hand or the captain's deck, you apply the card's :ev. The process is identical, but when expending from hand you already know the card's :ev.

2. You don't have to declare where you'll expend from, but rather the decision as to whether to expend from hand or deck is made with each individual card expended, and you're free to mix and match.

Example

Captain Kangaroo attempts to procure a card with a cost of :credit2. He elects to expend a card from the top of his deck, which has an :ev of 1. This leaves him one point short, which he can meet by expending a card from his hand or his deck.

RKFM

Kickstarter Backer
Medals:1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Clarification about Expending EV

Post by RKFM » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks!