Cognition Wafer and Jack of all Trades

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Cognition Wafer and Jack of all Trades

Post by Cpt Ric » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:42 pm

Does the Cognition Wafer :gear only affect the character's innate skill(s)? I'm thinking so but just wanted to check since I could see it working either way, given that Jack of all Trades :jack+ isn't really a skill. I have Euphasie Fleta in my crew, she is :jack+. If I were to attack a Cognition Wafer :gear to her, when she generates the two skill chits, is one now Expert? Thanks!!

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: Cognition Wafer and Jack of all Trades

Post by Horizon Ian » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:19 pm

Cognition Wafer doesn't interact with Euphrasie's special ability.

As to how Cognition Wafer works, as we have concluded the card has too much ambiguity, we are trying to reword it to bulletproof clarity, but there are a variety of scenarios with the card, not that it's the only effect that leads to questions of changing skill levels, but it's the most common way.

We have a plan on releasing various clarifications, errata, rules updates. I know that doesn't help and that it's easy for this to slide, but I'm hesitant to answer how we would like CW to work off the top of my head because it has been complicated trying to resolve the ambiguity and have a rewording best match designer intent.

Btw, JoaT is a skill, it just has several special rules associated with it. A crew with trained JoaT can have JoaT upgraded to expert through CW.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7

Re: Cognition Wafer and Jack of all Trades

Post by Cpt Ric » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:58 am

Excellent. I figured that would be the answer. I look forward to seeing the new errata. The V2 rule book is better too. It would be great if some day you can have the rule book formatted in a more printer friendly format. The large square pages are cool, until you try to print them! And I'm a guy who likes to play the game without using a computer. I work on computers all day and when I play a game I like to get away from them.

Thanks much!