Apprentice Traveller...

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
jmt

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook
Term 1
Medals:4
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Apprentice Traveller...

Post by jmt » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 am

Just played my first solo game (in preparation for teaching it on Monday night). Most of the game flows well, but I had one question regarding the Buccaneer card and combats in General.

I take Beowulf ( :av 0 :dv 0 ) and have one of the crew fly the Armed Gig ( :use :av +1)with Jim Thorne ( :exert :credit2 :av +1) into combat against the Buccanerr ( :av 1 :dv 1 :structure 1 ). As the player, I attack first and do 2 damage to the Buccaneer which exceeds its :dv 1 and vaporizes the pirate scum. However...

(1) Is combat simultaneous or sequential? I assume simultaneous from the way the rules are written.
(2) As the Beowulf has :dv 0, the :av 1 of the Buccaneer does what to the ship? There isn't any :structure shown on the card, so does that imply :structure 1 and my ship is blown out from under me?

Thanks
jmt

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: Apprentice Traveller...

Post by Horizon Ian » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 am

Both ships will deal and receive damage to each other at the same time when dealing with complications.

Damage received to your ship that is not assigned to upgrades incurs expenses that are met by spending cards for their EV as any other expenses require. Complication ships don't target upgrades, so it's just an expense.

As an aside, your ship can never be removed except by bankruptcy, where the captain can't meet payments to keep it flying.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

jmt

Term 1

Post by jmt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks, Ian. I re-red the rules this morning and see the particular rule you reference.

Shijuro

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Post by Shijuro » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 pm

In that example, wouldn’t Jim Thorne’s player have to choose between Jim’s combat ability and :use the Armed Gig, as either would require him to :exert Thorne?

Although it seems counter-intuitive, wouldn’t it be better to shove someone with no combat ability into the Armed Gig and keep Jim on the unarmed ship to use both buffs?

jmt

Term 1

Post by jmt » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 am

Yes, you may be correct - I don’t know that exausting a crew prevents the use of attached gear.

This was just an example from a he top of my head not a game example

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:09 pm

:use is an :action that requires :exert. There's a couple of places this information appears in the rulebook, typically in sidebars (to highlight it).

So in the case of Jim Thorne, it would make more sense to give Armed Gig to someone else. But remember, :gear can be moved during the Ready Phase, so if he's the only :crew you have out, you can attach it to him and move it to another :crew later.