Paying a cost in credits: can you always expend cards from your captain's deck?

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
pvanniervp
Term 2
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator
Paying a cost in credits: can you always expend cards from your captain's deck?

Post by pvanniervp » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:18 am

Hello,

I'm brand new to the game and was wondering if I can always pay a credit cost by expending cards from my captain's deck.

So:

1) During the adventure phase, for a cost of :credit1 , I can pay for the jump value or pursue piracy - can I expend cards from my captain's deck to pay for either or both of these?

2) Some cards have a reaction timing symbol requiring the payment of credits - can I pay the cost using the captain's deck, regardless of what phase of the game I'm in?

3) Some complications require the acting captain to pay a credit cost - again, can I pay for this using the captain's deck?

Many thanks!

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Paying a cost in credits: can you always expend cards from your captain's deck?

Post by Cpt Ric » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:05 pm

pvanniervp wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:18 am
Hello,

I'm brand new to the game and was wondering if I can always pay a credit cost by expending cards from my captain's deck.

So:

1) During the adventure phase, for a cost of :credit1 , I can pay for the jump value or pursue piracy - can I expend cards from my captain's deck to pay for either or both of these?

2) Some cards have a reaction timing symbol requiring the payment of credits - can I pay the cost using the captain's deck, regardless of what phase of the game I'm in?

3) Some complications require the acting captain to pay a credit cost - again, can I pay for this using the captain's deck?

Many thanks!
Short answer is, yes you can pay a cost with the :ev on a card from either from your Hand or the Captain Deck.

1 - Correct (Keep in mind if you are playing solo, there is really no good reason to do Piracy.)

2 and 3 - Yes. you can always pay for some sort of cost from your Hand or the Captain Deck.

pvanniervp
Term 2
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Paying a cost in credits: can you always expend cards from your captain's deck?

Post by pvanniervp » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Perfect, thank you very much for confirming!
And thank you for pointing out the irrelevance of the piracy option in a solo game.

Traveller-Jake

Free Trader Network Member Easter Egg
Term 1
Medals:2

Post by Traveller-Jake » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:37 pm

The main limitation is that once the Captain's Deck is gone then you're bankrupt and out of the game.
The second limitation is that you might end up paying :credit2 or :credit3 for a :credit1 expense. If you are paying from your hand instead of the deck you can pay exact change, as it were.

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 am

Traveller-Jake wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:37 pm
The main limitation is that once the Captain's Deck is gone then you're bankrupt and out of the game.
Not exactly. Once you can't pay for something you are bankrupt and out of the game. You could run your captains deck to zero and still have cards in your hand to pay for things and keep going until your hand is depleted, even then as long as you don't have to pay for anything you are still in the game.

Traveller-Jake

Free Trader Network Member Easter Egg
Term 1
Medals:2

Post by Traveller-Jake » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:59 am

Technically correct. But someone whose Captain's Deck is empty is certainly in trouble if he can't pull off a victory in the next turn or so.

Cpt Ric

Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:58 am

Roger that! I think it was a game of solo #2 "The Cost of Doing Business" I won with about 4 cards in my hand and no cards in the Captains Deck. Whoosh!