Letting Things Slide complication - is it failed if I am unable to discard an upgrade I control?

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
pvanniervp
Term 2
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator
Letting Things Slide complication - is it failed if I am unable to discard an upgrade I control?

Post by pvanniervp » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:16 am

This complication says to return an :upgrade you control to its owner's hand.
If my ship doesn't have an :upgrade, does it mean I failed this complication and that I am therefore counted as ineligible?

Thanks for your help.

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Letting Things Slide complication - is it failed if I am unable to discard an upgrade I control?

Post by Horizon Jeff » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:43 am

pvanniervp wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:16 am
This complication says to return an :upgrade you control to its owner's hand.
If my ship doesn't have an :upgrade, does it mean I failed this complication and that I am therefore counted as ineligible?

Thanks for your help.
Correct!

pvanniervp
Term 2
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Letting Things Slide complication - is it failed if I am unable to discard an upgrade I control?

Post by pvanniervp » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:44 am

Thank you so much for confirming!

abouffard

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer

Post by abouffard » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:00 pm

Wait, so if a :complication requires you to Jettison or otherwise modify the state of a card of a given type and you don't have a card of that type in play, or if it requires you to Jettison a card from your hand and your hand happens to already be empty in the Resolution phase, does that mean you cannot complete that :complication?

I'm not sure we did that - or more specifically, I think we weren't certain what to do - when a :complication required us to put a :wounds on a :crew and the Captain in question had no :crew to affect. We, I guess now incorrectly, assumed that we could automatically meet that :complication or it didn't apply to that Captain.

If is isn't explicitly stated in the rules and I just missed it, or perhaps it was stated and I just didn't see it or interpret it the way it was intended, the rules or a FAQ/Errata should spell it out more specifically. That a Captain can't resolve a :complication unless he or she has all the cards available that would otherwise be affected by the resolution of that :complication.

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3

Post by Horizon Ian » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:25 pm

I didn't realize there were two threads that covered the same card, though the other thread was asking about Firmware Update Errors primarily. Can see more on Letting Things Slide, here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=365&p=1696&hilit=firefight#p1696

When a complication requires that you do something, then you need to do it to resolve the complication. But, it's possible for that something to not have any effect on the game state.

As an aside, the Firefight :complication is more complicated because the card itself doesn't make it clear that you cannot overwound :crew .
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection