There's Always Something complication

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
pvanniervp
Term 2
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator
There's Always Something complication

Post by pvanniervp » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:08 am

Hello to all,

I'm having trouble understanding how this card works when there are already complications on a contract.

This card's text reads:
Reveal the top 5 cards of target Adventure Deck. Attach 2 of your choice as :complication to this :contract, if able. Discard the remainder.
Specifically, I played a game today where I revealed three complications on a contract (three was the contract's limit), two of which were There's Always Something.

I read Ian's ruling on these forums, but I still don't understand how this works.
This complication also says "if able" - what does that mean in the context of this game? The rules says that when you need to attach a complication to a contract when the limit has already been reached, you simply discard one of the existing complications and replace it with the one just drawn, so aren't you always able to put new complications on contracts?

Can someone perhaps provide a step-by-step example?

Many thanks for your time and help.

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: There's Always Something complication

Post by Cpt Ric » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:32 am

Don't over think this.

"If Able" means just that. You can't add more :complication cards to a :contract then the max allowed for the :contract.

Looking at the Clarification on the database, it is all about how you choose to resolve the :complication cards. If the are 2 :complication (and a max of 2 :complication cards) and you resolve this one first, then ONE of the two you chose is now added. Since you just resolved the "There's Always Something" there is one slot open. If you resolved the other one first then this one, then BOTH the ones you chose are added to the :contract since there are now two open slots for :complication cards to be added.

Think of it this way, with this :complication you will always be added ONE of the :complication cards that you pick from the 5. You may or may not be able to add the other one based on the max number of :complication cards that a :contract can have. The fact that you resolve the "There's Always Something" makes a slot open for ONE of the new :complication cards. Choose wisely. Resolving this one first seems like the right thing to do most of the time.

Note also that you can pick anyone's adventure deck, the :complication cards do not have to come from your own adventure deck. Clearly in solo play you don't have a choice.
Last edited by Cpt Ric on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvanniervp
Term 2

Post by pvanniervp » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:39 am

Thanks, Ric, that helps! In the end, that's how I played it.
And thank you for taking the time to clarify.

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Post by Cpt Ric » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:41 am

Also in reference to this statement:

"The rules says that when you need to attach a complication to a contract when the limit has already been reached, you simply discard one of the existing complications and replace it with the one just drawn..."

That is when you are doing the Adventure Phase only. At least that is the way I've always played it.

pvanniervp
Term 2

Post by pvanniervp » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:02 am

Okay, thanks for pointing that out!