Complications with adventures and complications

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Bolluxx

Free Trader Network Member
Medals:1
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Complications with adventures and complications

Post by Bolluxx » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 am

Hi there,

I'm somewhat new to the game and though we have had a few games (unluckily with much time passing by between them) there are still some questions / situations that remain unclear regarding the complications :complication

So, first of all: when there is an adventure with 3 :complication on it and two captains pursuing the contract :contract , does each of them encounter all of the three :complication ? Or starting with the higher :initiative captain A chooses one of the :complication , then B chooses a :complication and then A (in case he made it through the first :complication ) chooses the final :complication ?
So, in that case B would have an advantage as he only encounters one :complication in contrast to A. Is this ok?
It's even more of an advantage when there is only one :complication on the :contract

The next situation: I had my Subs. Merchant on an adventure, made it through the :complication but hadn't enough skills and such to fullfill the :contract . In the next round I opted to remain on the (now :complication free) adventure. Then we draw new :complication cards. Is it ok to place a new :complication on an adventure where either the adventure is already "reached" or where the :complication are already face-up?

And: when I draw a new :complication during the round and will bring it to an :contract that already has it's maximum of :complication (face-down as nobody comiited to this adventure). Do I take a look at all the :complication laying there, then after reviewing the face-down :complication choosing the one that I like to remain/discard? Or will the discarded :complication be chosen by random?

Finally: how do things work if I have question #3 and #4 combined? I'm sitting on an adventure, having not yet completed all :complication (all face-up) and a new one would be placed by my opponent. Does he chose which one he keeps / discards? Or is it randomized?
And will it be placed face-up or face-down?

Best regards
Jochen

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: Complications with adventures and complications

Post by Horizon Ian » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:32 am

Bolluxx wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 am
So, first of all: when there is an adventure with 3 :complication on it and two captains pursuing the contract :contract , does each of them encounter all of the three :complication ? Or starting with the higher :initiative captain A chooses one of the :complication , then B chooses a :complication and then A (in case he made it through the first :complication ) chooses the final :complication ?
So, in that case B would have an advantage as he only encounters one :complication in contrast to A. Is this ok?
It's even more of an advantage when there is only one :complication on the :contract
If A is First Captain, then the latter. If B is First Captain, then B has to either attempt to resolve a :complication or pass, then it goes to A, then back to B if B successfully resolved a :complication.

Highest :initiative during the First Captain determination step would have chosen who is First Captain. After that, First Captain remains First Captain until the next round's determination is made. Stage 3, Ready Phase, page 10 of rulebook.

So, yes, there can be a big advantage to whoever is second when there's one :complication attached. However, let's say there are two :complication attached, then it's often advantageous to be the First Captain.

With more than two players, should be able to intuit how it works, but we can give an example with more than two.

Multiple captains pursuing the same contract really is one of the most complicated things about the game.
The next situation: I had my Subs. Merchant on an adventure, made it through the :complication but hadn't enough skills and such to fullfill the :contract . In the next round I opted to remain on the (now :complication free) adventure. Then we draw new :complication cards. Is it ok to place a new :complication on an adventure where either the adventure is already "reached" or where the :complication are already face-up?
Yes, it's possible to add :complication to contracts that have had activity on prior rounds.
And: when I draw a new :complication during the round and will bring it to an :contract that already has it's maximum of :complication (face-down as nobody comiited to this adventure). Do I take a look at all the :complication laying there, then after reviewing the face-down :complication choosing the one that I like to remain/discard? Or will the discarded :complication be chosen by random?
You do not look at facedown complications. You choose which to discard. So, you may choose to discard a complication that you don't know or one that your opponent doesn't know or one that everybody knows depending upon what has been revealed previously in the game.
Finally: how do things work if I have question #3 and #4 combined? I'm sitting on an adventure, having not yet completed all :complication (all face-up) and a new one would be placed by my opponent. Does he chose which one he keeps / discards? Or is it randomized?
And will it be placed face-up or face-down?
Placed faced down and chooses which one to discard.

Note that a common way to get rid of a :complication you can't do is to play a :complication yourself to a full :contract and choose to discard the one you can't do.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer

Bolluxx

Post by Bolluxx » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:42 am

Hi Ian,
thanks for the fast reply. Your answers cleared up the problems.

Best Regards
Jochen

Bolluxx

Post by Bolluxx » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:41 am

I think I tumbled over a bit of a contradiction :)

Reading the folded flyers that come with ship decks I found that the complications :complication on a contract :contract are drawn, then NOT looked at and then put on a contract.But in the rule book it reads as if I draw a contract card / complication, look at it and then put it on a contract I think fits.

So: do I look at my drawn card before playing it on a contract or not?

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:39 pm

Bolluxx wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:41 am
I think I tumbled over a bit of a contradiction :)

Reading the folded flyers that come with ship decks I found that the complications :complication on a contract :contract are drawn, then NOT looked at and then put on a contract.But in the rule book it reads as if I draw a contract card / complication, look at it and then put it on a contract I think fits.

So: do I look at my drawn card before playing it on a contract or not?
Thanks for the question! Are you asking about :complication placed as part of the Adventure Phase, or the :complication that is attached automatically whenever a :contract is played?

1. In the Adventure Phase when you draw a :complication, you do look at it before you place it (rulebook pg 11, stage 1).

2. When setting up the game and placing the initial :contract , you do not look at the :complication (rulebook pg 8). When replacing the completed :contract during the Resolution Phase, you also do not look at the :complication (rulebook pg 20, Stage 3, bp 5).

I'm not sure if there's any general rule in the book (there should've been if there isn't) that says this, but basically whenever you play a :contract, you then play a face down :complication without looking at it.

Horizon Ian

Term 3

Post by Horizon Ian » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:55 am

The foldout sheet had an error about whether you look at the complications or not.

Sorry about that.
Ian Lee
Lead Developer