Paying Costs

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Paying Costs

Post by Wargfn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:25 pm

So it is mentioned in the rule book that you must pay costs from either your hand or from the top of their captain's deck, pg 5.

So let's say that I have incurred a cost of 3 :ev , while only having two(2) cards in my hand worth say 1 :ev . Since I don't meet the cost, can I draw cards from the top of my Captain's deck until I have meet the expense or 3 :ev? what do I do with the 0 :ev cost cards drawn in this way? Can my hand size go above 7 due to drawing to meet expenses?

What if I have 3 :ev in my hand but I want to hold onto those cards, can I still draw from the top of my Captain's deck up til I draw 3 :ev in this case?

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: Paying Costs

Post by Horizon Ian » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:25 pm

When paying costs/expenses, the cards from the deck never go to your hand, they go to your discard pile. You can mix and match cards from deck with cards from hand to meet expenses. A card :ev of 0 would just go to the discard pile and contribute nothing to meeting the expense.

So, for example, have an expense of 3 you need to pay. Flip top card of Captain's Deck into discard pile and it's a heroic action worth :ev 2. Could flip the next card and if it's :ev 1+, you are done. Could instead discard a card from hand to discard pile worth :ev 1+ to finish meeting the expense.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12

Post by Wargfn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Can I just pay costs directly from my Captain's deck even if I have say 7 cards in my hand?

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Wargfn wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm
Can I just pay costs directly from my Captain's deck even if I have say 7 cards in my hand?
Yup, the choice is entirely yours.

AllanJR

Kickstarter Backer
Term 1
Medals:1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Post by AllanJR » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:33 am

May be a good idea to clarify this. Per the Rules under Expenses, Expend, and Expense Value (EV/ :ev ), the text reads "meet it by expending cards from hand or off the top of their Captain's deck." This could be interpreted as one or the other, but not both. I don't believe any of the Examples demonstrates splitting payment between Hand and Deck. Perhaps change or to and/or, or some such.