Advanced Solutions, Inc. - Rules Clarification

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Advanced Solutions, Inc. - Rules Clarification

Post by Frewfrux » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Card text reads:

" :reaction - :exert : When you draw from an Adventure Deck, draw 2 additional cards. Choose one, and return the others to the bottom of that deck in any order."

No phase is listed for when this :reaction can take place, so I assume that means it can happen in any phase.

As there's no point in drawing more face-down cards, this text could mean one of two things:

1) It only applies when drawing face-up cards (ie. when replacing a :contract you or your opponent has completed).
2) As stated, it applies *whenever* you draw and you can therefore look at face-down :complication cards, as you are playing them, once per round.

I've been assuming #1, only because it's the most restrictive, as well as #2 seems almost too powerful. (That said, I haven't tried it with the #2 rules so I really don't know.)
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: Advanced Solutions, Inc. - Rules Clarification

Post by Horizon Ian » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 pm

It may make more sense if you take into account there is a mistake in the insert sheet in the decks (but not in the rulebook). During the adventure phase, when a player is playing a complication to a contract, the player who plays the complication looks at the adventure card before placing it on a contract. This is different from the automatic complication that a contract receives when it is first put into play, which is not looked at by any player before being played face down. While there are other times when cards are drawn from the adventure deck and looked at, the playing of a complication during the adventure phase is the most common.

Does that help with when it would be useful and when it wouldn't?
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Yes. I was playing solo at the time, and the guidelines for that do not include any time when you look at a :complication before playing it, only :contract's.

Basically, the answer is #1, but in "normal" play it will apply at times to both :complication's and :contract's.

Loadgoldandgo

Post by Loadgoldandgo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:42 pm

I previously only used this card when drawing additional complications during the adventure phase. Looking again, I know think that it could be used when playing a :contract card while refilling a slot to choose the best of the three. Is that correct?

Frewfrux

Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:01 am

Oh wait...re-reading the rule book on solo play, I see that there is mention of a time when you draw :complication card face-up. I think I still have this a bit wrong. Let's start with normal, multi-player rules for adding :complication's to :contract's :

1) During set-up, and any time a :contract is replaced, the :contract has a :complication added face-down.
2) During the Adventure Phase player's take turns drawing a :complication and placing it on a :contract of their choosing.

Do I have that right?

For solo play #1 still applies, but #2 is replaced with the alternate rules which state (page 42):

1) Draw and place a face-down :complication card based on guidelines (not included here)
2) Draw a face-up :complication and place it wherever you like

Do I have that right? When I was playing I was only doing #1, so it seemed like there was not any point where I drew a face-up card.

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm

You are correct on both counts.

Just to be super clear, in a solo play game, you should be placing at least two :complication a turn, one according to the game directions, and one of your choice.

Frewfrux

Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Funny you clarified that. As I tried my next solo game I was wondering to myself if playing 2 :complication cards per turn was the intent of the rules. It's like you read my mind. :o Jeff get's a :psionic- badge! :lol:

Horizon Ian

Term 3

Post by Horizon Ian » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 am

Loadgoldandgo wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:42 pm
I previously only used this card when drawing additional complications during the adventure phase. Looking again, I know think that it could be used when playing a :contract card while refilling a slot to choose the best of the three. Is that correct?
Correct.
Ian Lee
Lead Developer