Does Drawing Up to Seven Cards Cause Bankruptcy?

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Does Drawing Up to Seven Cards Cause Bankruptcy?

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:08 pm

I don't think it does, but I figured I should double check.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Bezmozgu

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Ghost Easter Egg Event Organizer Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating
Term 1
Medals:7

Re: Does Drawing Up to Seven Cards Cause Bankruptcy?

Post by Bezmozgu » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:05 am

My understanding is that bankruptcy only occurs when a captain cannot pay an expense. So even if you cannot draw up to a seven-card hand but have cards in your hand to pay a cost you are still in the game.

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:37 am

Bezmozgu wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:05 am
My understanding is that bankruptcy only occurs when a captain cannot pay an expense. So even if you cannot draw up to a seven-card hand but have cards in your hand to pay a cost you are still in the game.
This is correct. Bankruptcy is connected to cards only in a practical sense. The actual rule requires a captain to face an expense they cannot meet. The rulebook uses the same language on pages 3, 4 and 5 when discussing the concept.

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6

Post by Frewfrux » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Having said that, is drawing up to 7 cards mandatory, in so far as one is able?

I cannot see any reason why not to, and plenty of reasons to do so, so I don't know how relevant this question is. Who knows, maybe it will become a relevant question the more cards I read.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Freeloading Phill

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Boardgamegeek Rating
Medals:3

Post by Freeloading Phill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Without revisiting the rules my memory - from reading the rules and playing a solo and a group game - is that hardly any drawing or paying seemed mandatory.

So you could obstinately stay in the game and just do nothing each turn until your frustrated opponent conceded. :evil:

I didn't think it would be an actual problem but it did seem like a loophole that could stand to be closed.

SolomanMedici

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Boardgamegeek Rating
Term 1
Medals:5

Post by SolomanMedici » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Freeloading Phill wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm
Without revisiting the rules my memory - from reading the rules and playing a solo and a group game - is that hardly any drawing or paying seemed mandatory.

So you could obstinately stay in the game and just do nothing each turn until your frustrated opponent conceded. :evil:

I didn't think it would be an actual problem but it did seem like a loophole that could stand to be closed.
In such a case there is no need for your opponent to feel frustrated or concede as it would be an easy victory for them. One wins the game by being the first captain to earn 20 :vp while avoiding bankruptcy. If you do nothing you might not go bankrupt but you certainly won't win unless the other captain(s) self destruct. And in a solo game... why?

ps, welcome to the boards FP.
“I don't always play card games, but when I do I play Traveller CCG”
-- The Most Interesting Man in the Imperium

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Drawing is not optional. In fact, not only is drawing not optional, but during the Ready Phase you're supposed to resolve to your hand size, meaning if you have more than your allotment, you have to discard down. This wasn't made explicit in the rulebook, but it will be in the upcoming revision.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a gentlemen's (or ladies's) draw. There is a term in chess called zugzwang where any move would make the player's position worse. However, in chess, unlike Travller, moving is mandatory.

A truly deadlocked position is rare, but possible. In that case, shake hands and enjoy the well fought battle.

Freeloading Phill

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Boardgamegeek Rating
Medals:3

Post by Freeloading Phill » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Okay so drawing is mandatory but doesn't cause Bankruptcy.

I see in the Important Terms section of the rules that paying expenses is mandatory - however initiating the healing/repairing expense is at the discretion of the captain as are the great majority of the expenses so there's that small chance to grind out the other player by doing nothing other than making things harder for them with things that have no expense for you.

Perhaps the second turn of needing to draw from an empty deck should cause bankruptcy?
Or third turn if 2 last shots at glory are better.

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:08 am

Freeloading Phill wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 pm
Okay so drawing is mandatory but doesn't cause Bankruptcy.
Correct. In fact, Bankruptcy as a rule is never described in terms of cards, but just as an inability to meet an expense. Though as a practical matter, they are closely tied.
Freeloading Phill wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 pm
Perhaps the second turn of needing to draw from an empty deck should cause bankruptcy?
Or third turn if 2 last shots at glory are better.
This isn't really a direction in which we want to go. In the very rare case that both players are deadlocked, they can agree a hard fought draw. If one player believes his position is hopeless, they can always concede. Otherwise, battling from the margins is not only perfectly acceptable, such circumstances often make for the most memorable games.