Damage During Ship Combat

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Damage During Ship Combat

Post by Frewfrux » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:17 am

In the example on page 40 of resolving ship combat it would appear that the attacker chooses how to assign damage. It says
...[the attacker] may either assign it as expense Ahab must pay, or as :structure to an :upgrade.
However, it does not say who assigns the damage to the different :upgrade's. For example, if a defender has 2 :upgrade's each with 3 :structure and there was 4 :av against 0 :dv, and the attacker says they are causing :structure damage, who assigns the damage?
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Re: Damage During Ship Combat

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Each captain assigns the damage they inflict. So the attacker assigns the damage they inflict either as :ev or as :structure to any :upgrade attached to the defender, and the process works the same for the defender.

SolomanMedici

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Boardgamegeek Rating
Term 1
Medals:5

Post by SolomanMedici » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:54 pm

A further question: how do we assign ship damage that is inflicted by a card rather than a captain?
The example I am thinking of is the Buccaneer :complication which requires one to defeat an enemy :ship ( :av 1, :dv 1, :structure 1). If my ship has ( :av 2, :dv 0, :structure 1) then I will defeat the enemy but I will also take damage as his :av is greater than my :dv. How should this be assigned?
I can think of 4 possibilities:
1. I assign the damage to myself. Not the best option as, human nature being what it is, I will always apply it in a way that will cause me the least harm.
2. Another Captain assigns the damage to me. Better choice but won't work for solo games.
3. Default to :structure if possible, applying it to the :upgrade that is most vulnerable.
4. Default to :credit1 as the option that requires the least thought.
Any guidance will be welcome.
“I don't always play card games, but when I do I play Traveller CCG”
-- The Most Interesting Man in the Imperium

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Always assign as an expense.