A slight variation

The home for Traveller CCG Solo Play fans.
Kedvenc

Free Trader Network Member
Term 1
Medals:1
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
A slight variation

Post by Kedvenc » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:20 pm

Been trying a variation on the solo rules:

I choose my adventure deck as standard. Then a separate opposition adventure deck made up of 20 random :contract / :complication s.

Two slots are from my adventure deck, two slots from the opposition deck. The blind draw of the :complication during the adventure phase is always from the opposition adventure deck. If you complete an opposition :contract it is replaced from the opposition adventure deck.

I'm finding it a nice way to play. You don't know what :contract or :complication may come up and need to build contingencies into your captains deck.

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: A slight variation

Post by Horizon Ian » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 am

Cool. One of the people I ran into locally viewed the game as a set of components to do whatever he felt like with.

I'll look to try this for solo play and encourage others to check it out to see if it works as well for them.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer

Kedvenc

Term 1

Post by Kedvenc » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:32 pm

Did ever try this out Ian?

Freeloading Phill

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Boardgamegeek Rating
Medals:3

Post by Freeloading Phill » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:07 pm

I have a similar adventure placing variant that I use because the deck building is too big as requirement for my and my group for our low frequency of playing. It is part of my working out a way to play from one big pile of all the cards.

My solo, and probably multi, variation for the :contract / :complication is the Adventure placing one highlighted below:

One Big Deck

Captain’s Deck Each player takes 60 cards from the big deck to form their deck.

Free card swap At the start of their turn a player may burn a card from their hand to draw the top card from the remaining Big Deck cards.

Adventure placing Draw the top adventure when replacing them. When it would be your choice to add an adventure you draw 2 from the adventure stack and choose 1.

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 am

Playing from a random pool is an interesting idea, though because of the "match-this-to-resolve-that" dynamic of the game, it can lead to some sticky situations and I wonder how often Kedvenc finds that he defaults to his adventure card slots as opposed to the randoms? Drawing the :complication from the randoms does sound exciting, if difficult!

Freeloading Phil's "play from the pile" reminds me of how my friends and I used to play Magic back in the day! I wonder if there's a way to add some RP-style elements, like a "store" that is made up of :gear and :upgrade with perhaps three cards face up and available, which get replaced each turn, and a similar deck for :crew. This way you might have some options to address things that would otherwise just jam you up forever.

Kedvenc

Term 1

Post by Kedvenc » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:17 pm

So far I find that sometimes you want one of the opposition :contract as they're juicy. But the opposition also plays :complication to your :contract depending on :vp s and number of :complication slots filled etc. It's certainly my preferred way of playing solo at the moment.

Horizon Ian

Term 3

Post by Horizon Ian » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:07 pm

Sorry about the slow response.

Lifestyle the last almost two years has been different, so I haven't tried the solo adventure variant.

We are going to be running events at DunDraCon this year, assuming it happens as planned, so my Traveller plans will try another ramp up in the next month. Will be the first time playing with other people in a long time.
Ian Lee
Lead Developer