Solo Variant

The home for Traveller CCG Solo Play fans.
Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Solo Variant

Post by Wargfn » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:58 am

The Solo Scenarios are a good representative of the game; however, I always kind of felt that something was missing. So I have been playing around with the Solo Scenario: Alone in the Black, adding this, trying that. And I have come up with a semi-simplified automata as an add-on to any of the scenarios, although a couple of them are challenging enough without this.

So basically it’s a reference card. Here is the basic premise, you can use the Buccaneer ship :ship ( 1 :av 1 :dv 1 :structure ) or make a pile of your extra ships. Put one each of the skill tokens (only skills) into a draw bag. You then decide how many other ships will be included, and then deal ships out for the number. So for instance the first game play with 1 Solo ship, during the ready phase, you will draw a token from the bag and that skill token will govern what the ship and actions will do for the turn. So for the Admin token, it will gain a Cargo token and the Admin token you drew. In the resolution phase the solo ship will try to complete a contract using the tokens on the ship AND the capability icons (if it posses any) and collect Victory Points :vp . For an easier ship, it must also resolve complications :complication on the contract :contract it has tokens to resolve. If it is unable to complete a contract :contract , then leave all of the capability tokens and the skill token on the ship. Once a contract :contract is completed, removal all the tokens. The skill token will either go back to the bag or you will need to replenish it from the token stock. So in essence the solo ship will act like a second player with its AI on the card.

Also, if you decided not to use the Buccaneer ship :ship , pay close attention to the ship status. A Broadsword Solo ship is a beast to compete with. If the Solo ship gets to 20 :vp , you lose the game. Since the Solo Ship cannot go bankrupt and can engage in a piracy action against you, you may also retaliate; however, the Solo ship does not have crew and cannot be permanently destroyed.

Any token I haven’t defined I make the solo ship take a piracy action instead.
> Admin: Cargo token
> Social: Passenger token
> Combat: Military Token
> Medicine: Passenger/Military Token
> Psionic: Piracy +1AV
> Science: Survey Token
> Starship Operation: Cargo/Passenger Token
> Tech: Cargo/Survey Token
> Underworld: Piracy +1AV
> Jack: Remove one complication :complication from the pursued contract as if it had been successfully resolved.

Anyway, would love to hear what you guys think. And keep flying the Mains.

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Re: Solo Variant

Post by Horizon Jeff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm a little unclear about how exactly it works. I get the general idea of racing an enemy to :vp, but it's not clear to me if the enemy is going to be strong enough to clear :complication and still complete :contract, or if the enemy is mostly going to make it easier by peeling off a :complication then getting stuck.

Though maybe I'm not seeing it correctly?

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3

Post by Wargfn » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:44 am

The Solo ship is going to be continually collecting additional capability tokens every turn as you draw from the bag. For the harder ship, it only needs to resolve the contract requirements. For an easier ship, it has to also clear complications. So when you are looking at the contracts, you have to pick a contract that it can resolve with the capability tokens it has collected.

When playing the easier ship, typically, in my usage it has been able to find a contract every four-ish turns to complete. The harder ship is clearing contracts because it can ignore complications every two turns, possibly every turn. I will see if I can setup a couple of example images this weekend.

onesuponagame

Free Trader Network Member
Medals:1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Post by onesuponagame » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Have to try this soon... referenced in my playthrough video series here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz8MY2TdAtM

Wargfn

Twitter YouTube
Term 3

Post by Wargfn » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:45 pm

onesuponagame wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 pm
Have to try this soon... referenced in my playthrough video series here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz8MY2TdAtM
Funny that I was watching these videos last night. Watched video 3 this afternoon before you had posted this. Interested in hearing how it changes the solo experience for you.

onesuponagame

Free Trader Network Member
Medals:1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Post by onesuponagame » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Wargfn wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:45 pm
onesuponagame wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 pm
Funny that I was watching these videos last night. Watched video 3 this afternoon before you had posted this. Interested in hearing how it changes the solo experience for you.
Honored, thanks. Will let you know. :vp