Solo Scoring

The home for Traveller CCG Solo Play fans.
Traveller-Jake

Free Trader Network Member Easter Egg
Term 1
Medals:2
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Solo Scoring

Post by Traveller-Jake » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:55 pm

There are lots of various bonus point options for solo games, but is there a basic scoring mechanic? If you're not using any bonus point challenges it seems that it's just win/lose.
A possible scoring mechanic that occurred to me was the number of cards I have left in the Captain's deck when I reach 20 :vp .

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4

Re: Solo Scoring

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Traveller-Jake wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:55 pm
There are lots of various bonus point options for solo games, but is there a basic scoring mechanic? If you're not using any bonus point challenges it seems that it's just win/lose.
A possible scoring mechanic that occurred to me was the number of cards I have left in the Captain's deck when I reach 20 :vp .
That could be a good way to measure victory. I'm not sure there's a generally used method. I'd think that if you did do something like that, it would have to be a on "per deck" basis, since different deck designs would burn cards at different rates.

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3

Re: Solo Scoring

Post by Horizon Ian » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:50 am

One reason to try decks out solo is to test how they would play competitively. Probably not the main reason for Traveller Card Game players, but a reason.

Along those lines, how many rounds you win in likely the most relevant metric. I won a tournament game with half my deck in my discard pile on round two, so, to Jeff's point, how many cards left is going to be a function of challenge and deck philosophy. Could certainly have a solo scenario that was entirely about having as many cards left in Captain's Deck as possible where scoring isn't a matter of winning but of counting up the EV of what's left, for instance. One of the solitaire games I created is not a winning/losing card game but something where you count points at the end. Another is a game where winning isn't guaranteed but margin of victory is more interesting than just playing it as a win/lose game and how many cards are left dictates margin of victory.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection