A Solo Deck?

The home for Traveller CCG Solo Play fans.

Would you like to see an expansion deck of cards that are focused on solo play?

Yes a full deck of 60 cards like other expansion decks
77%
Yes a mini deck like the Gazelle (11 cards) on DriveThruCards
23%
No, I don't play solo.
No votes
No, not needed solo play is good as is.
No votes

Total votes: 13

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
A Solo Deck?

Post by Cpt Ric » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:47 pm

I'm actually curious about the community's feel about a Solo Deck. I'd like to see one since I nearly always play solo when I play Traveller (and really any game these days). So not just a simple Yes or no on this poll.

chrisemsd

Re: A Solo Deck?

Post by chrisemsd » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:35 pm

If given the choice of a 60 card vs 11 card Solo Deck with both being available products, it is a 60 card Solo Deck all the way. However, the realistic and pragmatic me realizes that is a lot of work with likely a long lead time before it would be available so I would happily accept an 11 card Solo Deck as an interim product while development and production of the 60 card deck took place.

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:48 am

Ideally a mini-deck would likely be 12 cards really. 4 cards with 3 copies each, if there were some Adventure cards there would be 2 each of those. The 11 is because these mini-decks included a :ship . Maybe the solo deck would have a :ship but I'm not looking for that personally. I'd just like to see mostly some Captain Deck cards more solo oriented as I talked about in another thread.

The full 60 card deck I think some specialized adventure cards for solo play could be cool. I'm thinking more they would be cards with contracts that must be fulfilled when they come up. Think a rescue mission kind of thing. The expansion deck could have several, about six (2 copies each), but likely only put a couple in the adventure draw deck for play. That gives the caption deck having 48 cards, which would be 16 unique cards at 3 copies each. So really only talking about coming up with 22 unique cards, 6 Adventure and 16 Captain.

In the tread "Solo Card Ideas - Comments please!" I list out some ideas I have for Captain cards for a deck like this, and "General Discussion on Solo Play" both I and korric talk about ideas for Solo Adventure cards.

Cpt Ric

Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:05 pm

225 views when I came here just now. Still only 8 total votes cast. I suppose it's just us same 8 folks coming here about 28 times to check on if any one else has voted! :-)

electronjon

Free Trader Network Member
Medals:1

Post by electronjon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:07 am

I tossed in a vote for a full pack of 60 cards. It would be interesting if it wasn't just 60 captains deck cards, though. This system could be expanded to support all sorts of fun mechanics for solo or co-op play: Cards that modify the contract slots (think planets or regions of space), plus a new set of cards that extends the idea of scenario 3 into an actual encounter deck (like LotR LCG/Arkham LCG/Marvel Champions) with some events or ship enemies. Then the Drive-Thru mini-packs could be things like narrative scenario cards (again, borrowing the quest/adventure deck idea), additional encounter cards, or even wholly new mechanics that allow some sort of bartering/bargaining economy between players.

There's a lot that could be done with the solo or co-op/co-petitive aspect of this system. As much as I enjoy the base game, I'm itching for some more mechanical depth in the solo experience.

NightHydra

Miscellaneous Contribution
Medals:1
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator

Post by NightHydra » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:56 am

If there were Solo versions of the less useful cards, that could buff it to 60. I would like more solo content. But even if it is more focused on Solo-friendly mechanics, that is fine. Of course getting Piracy as a Solo option is cool too

Cpt Ric

Term 3

Post by Cpt Ric » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:00 pm

NightHydra wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:56 am
If there were Solo versions of the less useful cards, that could buff it to 60. I would like more solo content. But even if it is more focused on Solo-friendly mechanics, that is fine. Of course getting Piracy as a Solo option is cool too
I agree! A Solo deck shouldn't just be made up of just solo version of cards already in other deck. Ideally it should have a set of :contract cards that play to a solo experience. One idea I had was to have :contract cards that must be fulfilled when they come up. As in, you must clear these out before you can do any other :contract , and you'd have to abandon any :contract you're on and clear these first. I'd like to hear about other ideas for solo :contract cards. Piracy is a concept hard to get going in Solo as mention, maybe some Piracy themed :contract cards?

I like the "The Dirty Half-Dozen" solo scenario in the main rules and there is cool twist on that "You are the contract". These add some Piracy attributes to the solo game.