3+ Players

General Discussion for the Traveller Customizable Card Game community.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
3+ Players

Post by Frewfrux » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 am

So far I've only managed to play 2-player games. Has anyone tried out 3+ players? What are the biggest differences? I'm considering trying to make some decks specifically with 3+ players in mind, but I'm just wondering about what to consider for them that would be unique.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Re: 3+ Players

Post by Horizon Jeff » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:33 am

We've played three and four player games internally. The biggest difference I've noticed is that piracy decks that rely solely on bankrupting opponents have a harder time, because there's more people to run into the ground. I'd say they probably need another route to victory (like earning VPs off piracy/ :infamy).

Also, because more players means each one is responsible for fewer Contract Slots, there's less "reliability" in :contract and greater variation (and number) of :complication.

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: 3+ Players

Post by Horizon Ian » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:43 am

Crew are easier to remove due to more sources of wounds. This is a place where politics matters, as it routinely does in multiplayer card games. On the other hand, more targets for effects makes decisions less clear and may avoid just shooting someone for economic gain as it will annoy the player.

Expanding, whether Babylon 5, Shadowfist, Vampire: TES, and others I haven't played as much, all of the sudden have the ability to coordinate opposing someone and overwhelming someone with multiple decks' resources. Sacrificing a position in a two-player to slow someone down often just means you lose later, but it's common in multiplayer play. As exampled above, though, can also get more passive/peaceful in multiplayer play because everyone is trying to avoid being ganged up on. For instance, if ahead, maybe go after 2vp contract to stay only somewhat ahead rather than trying to score 6 and getting hammered by everyone else.

Contracts are far more likely to have multiple pursuers. Even when not trying to suppress VPs (having one player sacrifice VPs to slow down a leader is a thing when there's a clear leader), have had situations where one contract is just far easier for everyone to complete.

The event that moves complications becomes more interesting. More complications are typically revealed and multiple pursuers on the same contract makes resolving complications more of a thinking game.

Ships are more likely to be duplicated depending upon the players. Consider a game of Scout against Beowulf versus game of two Scouts and Beowulf. Contract requirements can get skewed far more from what your playing or towards what your playing.

Being double Pirated is a possibility. Now, as Jeff notes, attrition in larger games is less effective. But, with a slower game where players can gang up, the flip side is that multiple players may beat down a player knowing that they aren't getting that much further behind.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection