First Game - Solo - Beowulf

General Discussion for the Traveller Customizable Card Game community.
Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
First Game - Solo - Beowulf

Post by Wargfn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 am

So Last night I played my first game using the Beowulf Ship deck. As an avid Deck builder and collector of card games, I have to admit that I rather enjoyed this first game, which is very rare, especially when learning new games. I have to be honest here, Traveller was always a nice setting to ready, but the RPG was just crazy complicated, or at least that is what my 13 YO self thought back in 1984. I am a big fan of space themed games. I love how this game captures the exploration / adventuring in space, especially in the harsh world of the Imperium. So here are some thoughts, while hopefully no spoilers to actual content yet.

So I struggled for the first two turns with the absolute structure of a turn. In most deck builders, there is something that resembles [Clean Up / Prep][Bunch of different actions here][Determine results][Clean up]. I find it really strange that at the end of every phase that you are constantly checking for victory conditions. Grant it, it was my first game, but it seems rather unlikely that you will be gaining VPs say in the Adventure or Procurement Phases. But hey, game ends as soon as you cross that threshold, could happen. I have not seen all of the cards yet. As a side note, by turn 3, the turn naturally seemed to flow as if you were actually doing these types of things. [Draw Cards][Get a Contract][Hire Crew][Plot your Opponents demise][Gather Resources][Pay Costs and gather VPs][Clean up]. So for me at least, the game really started flowing. I think Turn two was probably the worst, because I could see what I wanted to do to fulfill the pursed contract, but you can't immediately start playing Actions to work your way to completion. So for me Turn Two involved a lot of Do this, wait it isn't time to do that, undo that. Do this which it is time to do, move on, do more stuff.

Another thing that came to mind was that I had a brief look at the cards while I was putting them in sleeves.. While I could see that you could build the Beowulf to some extent as a very fast Pirate ship, it just did not seem like that was going to be a viable build. And in fact, it is much more cargo hauling starting deck builds. Since the adventure cards were double sided, I REALLY did not pay as close attention to these cards as the Captain's cards while i was placing them in sleeves. But hey that realization came after the first play.

So I focused on trying to get contacts that I could fulfill, with as few complications on them as possible. So First turn was an easy 'cargo haul' with one cargo icon on it. Which was easily completed due to having an easy 'unexpected passenger' as the complication. Both were in the wheel house of the ship card. Earning those meager VPs game me a very real sense of what I would be doing the rest of the game.

After a few turns of playing crew cards, paying costs, and just focusing on completing contracts, I was able to amass 20 VPs in about 7 turns. In turn 6, I took a contract with optional completions that I walked away with 6 VPs. This resulted in a Turn 7 with me at 17 Total Victory points and another easy single 'cargo' contract.

While playing Solo using the Beowulf, I noticed that a lot of abilities and cards were of 0 value to me as the function of the card. The expense value on the cards however, really created a nice place where I was not up set about losing a card that furthered my mission. Also there are numerous interactions that have no real play value in a solo game. You simply are not going to win with a piracy strategy.

Sitting back and looking at the game, I had quite the fun playing and zooming around the galaxy in the Beowulf. My next Solo ship is going to be the Type S Scout. My goal is to try out all 4 of the start decks, followed by putting together a Broadsword deck for solo play.

AND IF anyone lives in the Charlotte, NC area or will be in the area, I would love to play a couple of games of TravellerCCG with you.

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: First Game - Solo - Beowulf

Post by Horizon Ian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks for the report.

It's definitely a game that will make more sense after a bit of play, to get the icons down and the flow of the phases.

You are right that many card games have one phase where most of the stuff happens, where Traveller is highly dependent upon which cards are in play for which phases the greatest activity is. I've had times where I've needed to do half a dozen things during the resource phase. It's not unusual to have no action phase actions to perform. Etc.

Also, my experience is that two-player games usually speed up because you put a bunch of permanents in play early and slow down procuring, so the abilities you need to care about (and the ones you ignore) become more familiar as rounds progress.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Wargfn wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 am
While playing Solo using the Beowulf, I noticed that a lot of abilities and cards were of 0 value to me as the function of the card. The expense value on the cards however, really created a nice place where I was not up set about losing a card that furthered my mission. Also there are numerous interactions that have no real play value in a solo game. You simply are not going to win with a piracy strategy.
I wanted to highlight this part of the excellent post just to emphasize again that while Traveller does have solo play modes, it is and always will be designed with multi-player in mind. I imagine constructed solo decks would differ considerably from the multi-player variety.

Maybe at some point we'll release solo play cards as well, but we don't have any plans in that direction yet.

We'd like to make a Piracy solo play game scenario, but right now nothing super interesting has grabbed us.

GodricTheWell

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Google+ Twitter
Term 1
Medals:6

Post by GodricTheWell » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 am

I am new to CCG, so it's been a little more daunting to just "intuit" what I should be doing. But, I'm glad for the solo-review. I think that is my plan this weekend (having just received my boxes)—to run through the first solo mission with each ship and see what's what.

I have friends that will play, but I'll need to be fluent in the rules and gameplay for them to enjoy it. Only one chance to make a first impression and all that.

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12

Post by Wargfn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am

GodricTheWell wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 am
I am new to CCG, so it's been a little more daunting to just "intuit" what I should be doing. But, I'm glad for the solo-review. I think that is my plan this weekend (having just received my boxes)—to run through the first solo mission with each ship and see what's what.
I really think that for this game, playing it solo first to work out how things flow really helps and without the complications of other players. I asked for suggestions on how to demo the game to new players, but I think the real thing to do is sit them down with ships and have them walk through the turns playing solo but together at the same table. So that as they progress, you could add player interactions starting on say turn 5 or 6.

Rodent

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Facebook
Medals:4

Post by Rodent » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 am

Wargfn wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am
I really think that for this game, playing it solo first to work out how things flow really helps and without the complications of other players. I asked for suggestions on how to demo the game to new players, but I think the real thing to do is sit them down with ships and have them walk through the turns playing solo but together at the same table. So that as they progress, you could add player interactions starting on say turn 5 or 6.
I totally agree. I played solo to get the hang of the rules. I enjoyed the game and really made it easier to both play and teach the game. A day after playing solo I roped two friends into playing with me. Neither new of Traveller the RPG, but both enjoy SciFi and board/card games. We took it slow, often reading out load from the rules. Rounds started a little slow, but quickly got faster. By (as you say) turn 5 or so we starting to mess with each others crew and ships.

I really recommend the solo game to help get a handle on the rules. It's also a fun way to spend some time.

Bezmozgu

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Ghost Easter Egg Event Organizer Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating
Term 1
Medals:7

Post by Bezmozgu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 am

Rodent wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 am
Wargfn wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am
I totally agree. I played solo to get the hang of the rules. I enjoyed the game and really made it easier to both play and teach the game. A day after playing solo I roped two friends into playing with me. Neither new of Traveller the RPG, but both enjoy SciFi and board/card games. We took it slow, often reading out load from the rules. Rounds started a little slow, but quickly got faster. By (as you say) turn 5 or so we starting to mess with each others crew and ships.

I really recommend the solo game to help get a handle on the rules. It's also a fun way to spend some time.
I also agree, I've found the solo game to be the best way to learn the rules/system. I only wish I had started with the it -- it would have reduced some of my confusion (new to deck builder games)! :oops: It has also allowed me to become familiar with all four of the ship decks in a short period of time.