Another First Game, Solo with Beowulf

General Discussion for the Traveller Customizable Card Game community.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Another First Game, Solo with Beowulf

Post by Frewfrux » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 pm

After spending 3 days reading the rules on my phone (my life is a little...odd) I decided to start with a solo game using the Beowulf deck (a common choice, I see). As reported elsewhere, it seems to take a few turns to get used to, and then flows a bit more easily from there.

I had lots of questions afterwards and was very happy to find all of them answered in these forums except for two (posted elsewhere). Next step: rope my neighbour into learning the game, then make this available as a regular game for the once-a-month game's night I sometimes go to.

One minor note (I can't stress enough how minor) with regards to the tokens, I found I was frequently getting the :cargopassenger token (via Modular Hold) and a :cargo token (via Free Trader Network). However, of course, you can't just use the nicely designed tokens because there's only one token that serves both the :cargo and the :cargopassenger purpose. (I actually can, but only because I bought multiple sets of the tokens.) I know the token sets are only meant as an aid to play, and their use is not required or even really needed (anything can serve). I guess I just thought I'd mention it in case you wonder in the future if a change might be advantageous at all (and production restrictions allowed it)...maybe add two more tokens to the set: a :passenger / :survey and a :military / :cargo might help the usability by adding a couple more basic options.

But seriously, that was the only unexpected "issue" I really ran into. This is looking like it's going to be an awesome game to add to my library! Great job!!!
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3

Re: Another First Game, Solo with Beowulf

Post by Frewfrux » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:43 pm

I just tried a game with the Scout deck and did not run into the tokens issue at all. I guess that must be something unique to that deck build?

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12

Post by Wargfn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 am

I have the Collector's Edition (Hex) Tokens and the Premium Tokens (Round), I found that just one set of each is not enough and there are no wound or structure tokens either. So I have been using the premium tokens to measure :vp and :infamy . I have ordered some clear Poker chip separators from Amazon and plan on making a clear set of tokens for use; however, a bigger project is currently in front of that one.

Frewfrux

Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:27 am

Well, I guess if you gathered up tokens from all of your various resources then yeah, they wouldn't be enough. But I took a tip from the rule book where it says that you don't really have to gather all your tokens, just the ones explicitly acquired through an action of some sort. It not difficult to keep track of the implicit tokens. Now, maybe if I was playing multi-player it might be more challenging, I don't know.

As far as damage goes, I'm a little less concerned with that - only having played solo :D