Second (full) Multi-player game

General Discussion for the Traveller Customizable Card Game community.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Second (full) Multi-player game

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 pm

In the on-going saga of Frewfrux verses SolomanMedici, Frewfrux (playing the Subsidized Merchant deck) has managed to etch out a second victory against his rival (playing the Far Trader deck). In this second multi-player game for both players, game-play moved along at a little quicker pace with the game lasting four rounds, and taking an hour and a half total. The final score was (if I remember correctly) 21 - 16. What follows are some highlights.

Game play started innocently enough with SolomanMedici choosing to play first. (In his words, he had made me go first every round in the last game, so he wanted to be "fair" and went first every turn in this game. I do not expect this hospitality next time.) After drawing our 7 cards and realizing I had no :crew in my hand, I chose to discard four cards and draw four during the first Ready Phase, and got three :crew (after making sure we could do this on the first turn).

We traded some barbs back and forth with our :crew taking pot-shots at each other until we had :gear and special abilities that could counter this type of activity. I had no real :av ability and got out some early :dv so there ended up being no piracy.

SolomanMedici had trouble getting :crew out initially, and I managed to hit him with "The Jump Lazies*" in two of the four turns which seriously hampered his ability to do much of anything. (I'm actually quite impressed that he got to 16 points only drawing half the cards he normally would have.)

The extra :vp or two from completing :subplot's made the difference for me. I managed to complete at least one on every :contract I completed. I did notice that "Efficiency Diagnostic" was not as useful as I thought it was going to be due to it requiring you to spend two capability tokens and all of the :contract's I got out required two to three capability tokens to complete. Also, as the game only lasted four turns, there were many cards that came into play that just never got used.

In a similar manner to what happened in our first game, I ended up going through my cards pretty quickly. By the end of the game I had only 10 left in my Captain's Deck and was not spending :ev when I could avoid doing so.

Two questions came up, one from each player, and will be posted in proper forum channel, but all in all the game ran very smoothly. We only referred to the rule book twice. There was also a suggestion we thought of, and that was, when (if?) you re-print the sequence of play sheet, it might be a bit more clear to number the steps in the Ready Phase so that it doesn't look like you can pick and choose which thing to do first. (A minor point that the rule book clarified.)

We have now agreed that we both "know what we're doing" and can start using customized decks against each other. As I was the only one between us who purchased Trouble on the Mains, we thought it might be a good idea for SolomanMedici to try an Aliens of the Imperium deck while I went for combat.

Maybe.

*The Jump Lazies is a :complication that prevents you from drawing more than 1 card in the next ready phase.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

SolomanMedici

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Boardgamegeek Rating
Term 1
Medals:5

Re: Second (full) Multi-player game

Post by SolomanMedici » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Ah yes, the "Jump Lazies". My mother always said I was lazy, I guess this proves her right after all. Pizza anyone?
“I don't always play card games, but when I do I play Traveller CCG”
-- The Most Interesting Man in the Imperium

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Sounds like a good match! Was it Restricted Tech Vendor that was granting all the bonus :vp?

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6

Post by Frewfrux » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:59 am

No, I didn't have Restricted Tech Vendor out. It was just the fact that I completed a :subplot on every :contract I finished.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+