Limited - timing/cost

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
FiftyCal
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Limited - timing/cost

Post by FiftyCal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi,
A quick bit about myself because it's my first post.
I recently got this game and have played some solo games, walked some friends through one, and partially played against a friend once.
I love the Traveller universe, but I'm new to CCG type games.
---

Okay on with my actual question.

I noticed that :limited is a timing indicator. According to its glossary entry, it sounds like it is similar to :exert, but with no way to :ready. This makes it sound like a cost indicator, not a timing indicator. I know it doesn't really affect how the game is played, but I am curious why it is considered a timing indicator.

Also, it appears it is up to the player to actually keep track of the number of times an effect with :limited is generated, whereas :exert is tracked by the game by physically turning the card sideways. This is unique in a game with so many tokens and such.

Sorry for the pedantic question, but the rules are written so tightly, this is all I could get hung up on!

I'm also interested in general discussion about interesting things that can happen with :limited effects.

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12

Re: Limited - timing/cost

Post by Wargfn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:01 pm

:limited effects may only be generated once per round.

The reason why it is different from :exert , is that there is the possibility for cards to be :ready at a later time and then be :exert again to generate that effect twice or more per turn.

This is the exact glossary index item:
Limited: A limited effect may only be generated once each round. Limited is depicted with the icon :limited .

Check your rule book version or use this handy rules index -> TravellerDB Rules Reference.

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12

Post by Wargfn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:08 pm

As far as interesting effects with :limited , my favorite is the Sensor Drone Controller, which allows you to look at unrevealed :complication attached top a :contract with a :military or :survey requirement that you are pursuing. This allows you to prepare your whole turn for resolving the :complication .

On https://TravellerDB.com searching x:limit will return a list off all the cards with Limited :limited in their Text box. In fact, any icon can be searched by using its English name, such as gear or infamy as long as you are using the correct search term or box on the Card Search page. x: searches the text box. u: searches for :crew skills.

FiftyCal

Post by FiftyCal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks.

Ya TravellerDB looks very useful.

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Ian » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Limited is intended to allow certain effects that don't require exerting a card but would be far too powerful without some sort of limitation.

For instance, without Limited, Rika Honami could exert every crew in play as many times as you pay for the ability since she doesn't exert to use her ability. We could have had Rika exert to use her ability, but it would be far less good and would compete with her playing heroics, using gear, etc.

Similarly, Liam and Siobhan get to do other things since they don't have to exert for their abilities.

Limited doesn't have a special timing window, it just has a timing window related restriction where the ability would follow all other timing restrictions and be limited to only once per round.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection