Card Questions after my first solo play

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Mithgiladan

Shadow Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution
Term 1
Medals:2
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator
Card Questions after my first solo play

Post by Mithgiladan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks in advance,

First card: "Streamlining Treatment"

The usage reads: Reaction, _ Exert, Jettison: Defense Value +1 until end of round

So, I get the first part: "in reaction to an action of any type"
And , I get the last part: "+1 to my Defense Value until end of round"

Question 1: What is the underscore(_) in front of the Exert?
Question 2: To use this card, do I Exert it or Jettison it? Why are both game mechanics listed with only one outcome?

Next card: Efficiency Diagnostic
This reads Exert, 2Capability Tokens, Gain 1 Victory Point. Only usable after resolving a Contract

Question: Since this is only usable after resolving a Contract, can this be used to resolve SubPlots after resolving the contract?
Or are resolving the subplots considered part of resolving the contract?

Next Card: The Lucky Star
Where the card reads: "If the card shares that Expense Value, apply the card's Expense Value and move it to your hand."

Question: What are you applying the card's Expense Value "to"?

That's it for now...
I'm apologize because I'm sure I'll be back for more
tc+ mt+ mgt tn t20 t4 t5 tg th tccg ru+ ge+ 3i C jt- au+ ls pi ta- he+ KK hi+ as++ va+ dr ith vr ne so h vi da sy
www.usedstarships.com

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Card Questions after my first solo play

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:06 pm

Streamlinig Treatment

The dash (-) separates timing from cost. :reaction is a timing rule, which means it governs when and in what manner it can be played. :exert and jettison are costs which must be met in order to generate the effect. This formatting is somewhat explained on page 4 under cost and page 25 under timing, but actually it takes knowing both sections to put it together, so it could have been stated somewhat more clearly.

If an effect has jettison as a cost, you must discard it from play in order to generate it. You must also :exert it. If you can't meet both costs, you can't generate the effect. I know it may seem odd to think of :exert as a cost, but if you can't do it, you can't generate the effect. This allows for counterplay, because if an opponent can :exert a card, then it isn't available to :exert later.

Efficiency Diagnostic

So what this card allows you to do is to gain some value from excess capability tokens by spending them for :vp after resolving a :contract. It can't help you resolve :subplots. And because its ability is tied to :contract, you couldn't use it to gain more :vp for resolving a :subplot.

Technically you would use it during Stage 3 of the Resolution Phase (rulebook page 20).

The Lucky Star

The part of the text your question omitted is actually helpful to finding the answer. The card text in full reads:
:reaction - :exert : Before expending a card from the top of your Captain's Deck, declare an :ev . If the card shares that :ev, apply the card's :ev and move it to your hand. Otherwise, reduce the card's :ev to 0.
Captians only expend cards to pay for costs, either to bring a card into play or generate an effect with a credits cost. So the :ev is applied to whatever card or effect the captain is attempting to pay for by expending cards for :ev.

Please, keep 'em coming! We're happy to help. Questions are also great because in not a few cases, it illustrates things we need to do a better job of clarifying or it demonstrates a need for a specific ruling or errata.

Mithgiladan

Term 1

Post by Mithgiladan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 am

OK,
Followng up on this:
Efficiency Diagnostic

So what this card allows you to do is to gain some value from excess capability tokens by spending them for :vp after resolving a :contract. It can't help you resolve :subplots. And because its ability is tied to :contract, you couldn't use it to gain more :vp for resolving a :subplot.

Technically you would use it during Stage 3 of the Resolution Phase (rulebook page 20).
Per your comments, I can get one VP :vp if I spend two Capability tokens

That leads to the extension: Is this limited to only one transaction of two Capability tokens for one VP?
Or can I expend as many pairs of Capability tokens as I have remaining? (with the understood clarification that a "Capability" token is not a "Skill" token)
tc+ mt+ mgt tn t20 t4 t5 tg th tccg ru+ ge+ 3i C jt- au+ ls pi ta- he+ KK hi+ as++ va+ dr ith vr ne so h vi da sy
www.usedstarships.com

Mithgiladan

Term 1

Post by Mithgiladan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:16 am

OK,

Where you said:
The Lucky Star
:reaction - :exert : Before expending a card from the top of your Captain's Deck, declare an :ev . If the card shares that :ev, apply the card's :ev and move it to your hand. Otherwise, reduce the card's :ev to 0.

Captians only expend cards to pay for costs, either to bring a card into play or generate an effect with a credits cost. So the :ev is applied to whatever card or effect the captain is attempting to pay for by expending cards for :ev.
If I am understanding this correctly, this example is correct:
1) I have "Efficiency Diagnostic" in my hand
2) To put it in play, I need to pay Cr 2, which is the cost of the card
3) Because I have "The Lucky Star" as an active connection, I can:
A) state I choose to draw from my Captain's Deck to pay for "Efficiency Diagnostic"
B) I can then "declare" an EV of "2"
C) If the EV of the card drawn from the Captain's Deck equals "2", then
i) The EV is used to pay for the "Efficiency Diagnostic"
ii) AND The card drawn is ALSO moved to my hand
D) If the EV of the card drawn from the Captain's Deck Does Not equal "2", then it now Equals "0" and additional cards muct be drawn to pay for "Efficiency Diagnostic"

Is that correct?
www.usedstarships.com

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:30 am

100%

Mithgiladan

Term 1

Post by Mithgiladan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:45 am

OK,
Followng up on this:
Efficiency Diagnostic

That leads to the extension: Is this limited to only one transaction of two Capability tokens for one VP?
Or can I expend as many pairs of Capability tokens as I have remaining? (with the understood clarification that a "Capability" token is not a "Skill" token)
www.usedstarships.com

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Mithgiladan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:45 am
OK,
Followng up on this:
Efficiency Diagnostic

You are correct that capability tokens are not skill tokens, though both are resource tokens.

And a captain potentially may generate the ability more than once because it doesn't have :limited. However, because it does require :exert to generate the effect, the captain would need a way to :ready it to use it more than once.