Can events such as Bwap Advisors and 3PL be played at any time?

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
pvanniervp
Term 2
Player Locator:Not enrolled in the Player Locator
Can events such as Bwap Advisors and 3PL be played at any time?

Post by pvanniervp » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:54 am

Hello,

The rules state that events are always played as reactions, unless otherwise specified.

In the case of 3¨PL and Bwap Advisors, for instance, no other timing is specified on the card, so what would these cards be reacting to? Or can these two cards actually be played at any time in any of the phases?

3PL:
Remove from play target :linkopen :complication :cargo :linkedclose
Bwap Advisors:
Add any one Basic Capability token to your Resource Pool.
Thanks for your help.

Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Medals:7
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Can events such as Bwap Advisors and 3PL be played at any time?

Post by Cpt Ric » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:13 am

I've always played it that way, as in, Yes they can be played at any time.

As to what they are "reacting" to, that would be you need the desired effect of the card at that moment. 3PL - a :cargo based :complication has appeared and you want get rid of it. Bwap Advisors - you need a basic capacity that you don't have.

If the requirement was that an event card is only played because of another players action, than they would be useless in solo play so I'm pretty sure that is not the requirement.
Last edited by Cpt Ric on Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pvanniervp
Term 2

Post by pvanniervp » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:37 am

Okay, thank you for confirming!

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:30 pm

:reaction timing doesn't limit the card to being played in response to anything, but rather it gives the card the additional ability to be played in response.

Generally in Traveller, any ability can be used at any time, unless subject to other limitations like Phase Restrictions or timing (such as :action ). Once an effect has been generated, no other effect can be generated until the first has been fully resolved. Unless the second effect has :reaction.

pvanniervp
Term 2

Post by pvanniervp » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Thank you for taking the time to expound on this, Jeff, all is much clearer now!

abouffard

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer

Post by abouffard » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:36 pm

Are these reaction capable events played from your hand and paid for at the time they are played or must they be Procured and then played from your tableau of paid for face up cards?

If they are meant to be surprises to your opponent then I assume the former is the intention.

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:18 pm

abouffard wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:36 pm
Are these reaction capable events played from your hand and paid for at the time they are played or must they be Procured and then played from your tableau of paid for face up cards?

If they are meant to be surprises to your opponent then I assume the former is the intention.
Only permanent cards are technically procured. :event can be played at any time from your hand. :heroics are played from your hand during the Action Phase when a :crew performs them.

abouffard

Post by abouffard » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:17 am

Wow Jeff, thanks for the reply!

We had no idea and were Procuring :heroics and attaching them to :crew for all the world to see. In fact in our last game my wife crushed the rest of us by Procuring, attaching, and then repeatedly using several :heroics because none of us knew they weren’t supposed to work that way. That they were one-offs.

I’d suggest that unless I missed the distinction made in the rules between cards that are Procurable and persistent in front of you and those that are not, that that clarification/distinction should be added to the FAQ or any future edition of the rules. After reading and subsequently re-reading the rules a few times it still wasn’t obvious enough that some cards are playable from your hand and some are persistents and played in front of you.

abouffard

Post by abouffard » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:00 am

Sorry, I just found the Glossary entries for Permanent and Transient. Hadn't noticed them before when reading the rules, probably because I assumed the Glossary was just a summary of terms and their definitions that were explained in the actual body of the rules, as opposed to being the sole location for important card distinction explanations.

Traveller-Jake

Free Trader Network Member Easter Egg
Term 1

Post by Traveller-Jake » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:18 am

That :heroics are normally one-use cards is present in all the card anatomy rules. See especially pg. 33 of the rulebook.

No :heroics are used in the examples of play given in the rulebook. Perhaps that would have made their use more clear?

Some :heroics can be attached to :crew, or :ship like Bodyguarding, Dance Among the Heavens, Hobble, Police Raid, Polymath, etc.