Contingency - Rules Clarification

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Contingency - Rules Clarification

Post by Frewfrux » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:52 pm

After attaching the :event to the :crew, can a player leave the event there until it's needed, at which point the :crew would be returned to the player's hand? Or does the :event need to be played right away?
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Admrobbo

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Community Honor Early Contributor
Term 1
Medals:5

Re: Contingency - Rules Clarification

Post by Admrobbo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:55 am

Hi, the event is played right away and then discarded.

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks for that. That's what I thought, but the wording seemed unnecessarily complicated (why bother "attaching" it to a :crew in the first place?) so I second guessed myself.

Admrobbo

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Community Honor Early Contributor
Term 1
Medals:5

Post by Admrobbo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:49 am

Hi again, sorry. In respect of Contingency, I believe I am wrong.

Normally an :event is played and then discarded.

The heroic action, Contingency, allows the :event to attach to a crew. It then stays there but it's effect does not trigger at that time.

If that crew is then returned to your hand, the :event is triggered for :credit0 cost.

Frewfrux

Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:14 am

I wondered if that would be the case. I needed to play it right away in my game, so it didn't matter to me, but I'm glad I asked. It certainly makes the card a LOT more useful.:D

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Ian » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:43 pm

We are going to review Contingency as it is worded in a difficult way to interpret. Jeff and I may have a chance tomorrow to discuss, though we have different responsibilities at the convention on Monday.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Frewfrux wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:52 pm
After attaching the :event to the :crew, can a player leave the event there until it's needed, at which point the :crew would be returned to the player's hand? Or does the :event need to be played right away?
The captain leaves the :event attached to the :crew until it is played, at which point, as a cost, the :crew is returned to the captain's hand and the :event is played for :credit0.

The :event may be played at any time it would otherwise have been eligible if it had been played normally. So an :event with a Phase Restriction can still only be played in the appropriate phase. Note, there's nothing to stop you from playing the :event immediately, if no other condition prevents it.

So Contingency serves three separate, but related purposes.

1. It lets you search for an :event, which can be a handy way to solve a particular problem.

2. If you have :underworld+, you can get an :event from your discard pile, so if you ended up expending it for :ev or using it, you can get it back.

3. It reduces the cost to :credit0 by returning the attached :crew. Of course, you'd have to pay to bring that :crew out again if you wanted to, but there are instances where bringing a card back to your hand may be advantageous. For instance, if they have an ability that generates on being played...

Herumen

Free Trader Network Member
Medals:1

Post by Herumen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:15 pm

An additional question re: Contingency: Can the attached event be played at its regular cost, rather than 0, without jettisoning the crew? Or is jettisoning the crew always a requirement?

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:12 pm

Herumen wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:15 pm
An additional question re: Contingency: Can the attached event be played at its regular cost, rather than 0, without jettisoning the crew? Or is jettisoning the crew always a requirement?
No, the event may only be played by returning the :crew to your hand. Jettisoning sends the :crew to the discard pile.

Horizon Ian

Term 3

Post by Horizon Ian » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 am

The event cannot be played for its normal EV cost when attached through Contingency.
Ian Lee
Lead Developer