There's Always Something... - Rules Clarification

A place to find, request and discuss rulings and errata.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
There's Always Something... - Rules Clarification

Post by Frewfrux » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:42 pm

On the :complication "There's Always Something..." the text refers to a "target Adventure Deck." Which deck is that?

- The deck the :complication was from
- The deck the :contract was from

Because it's possible to be placed on both your own :contract without realizing it, and on your opponents :contract, I'm unsure how to interpret that.

Also, if this comes up as 1 of 3 possible :complication cards that could be resolved, and the :contract has reached it's limit of :complication already, then do you just draw 5 and discard them (assuming this is the first :complication you choose to resolve)?
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Medals:2

Re: There's Always Something... - Rules Clarification

Post by Horizon Ian » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm

When you choose to encounter and resolve this complication, you choose a Captain's adventure deck - that's the target. So, in a four-player game, you could pick any of the four adventure decks to reveal the top 5 cards and attach 2 of those cards.

Now, the question as to how it works when there are already other complications came up in today's tournament at DunDraCon. We may review the ruling to make sure it it consistent, but here's how it worked today.

Contract has 2 complications and a limit of 2, one of which is this one:

1. If the captain removes the other complication, leaving only this one, then this complication is encountered, it is on the way to the discard pile as it's being resolved to where two of the five revealed complications are added to the contract.

2. If the captain resolves this complication first, the five complications are revealed and one of them will definitely be added to the contract as this complication is no longer considered attached while it's being resolved. A second complication from the five revealed may be chosen to replace the other, original complication or the other four cards revealed may be discarded if the captain resolving "There is Always Something ..." would rather not replace the other, original complication.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

Baron_Gerry_Rail

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Boardgamegeek Rating YouTube
Term 1
Medals:5

Re: There's Always Something... - Rules Clarification

Post by Baron_Gerry_Rail » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:15 am

I was wondering about #2 yesterday as well. It seems to me it should be replaceable, but the Acting Captain could choose. It'll be good to have this in the FAQ to let us know if it's [ choice to replace | cannot replace | must replace ].

I'm also happy to see that resolving this card is indeed resolving :complication and therefore counts as your resolution. It has fascinating implications for :contract with 2 or more :ship 's attached.
1) :tech+ :admin-
2) "Travelling" since 1978.
3) tc+, mt, 23++, ru+, ge+, 3I++, c, jt+, au, ls, pi+, ta+, he, kk, hi, as+, va+, dr+, ith-. vr,ne??, so+, zh+, vl+, da+,sy++
4) Homeport: Toronto/Canada/Terra/Sol/Solomani Rim