First Multi-Player Game with Customized Decks

General Discussion for the Traveller Customizable Card Game community.
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
First Multi-Player Game with Customized Decks

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:03 pm

SolomonMedici (SM) attempted to use his alien labour force to ply the space lanes in a Subsidized Merchant :ship while Frewfrux's (Frew) unsavory :crew manned a Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser and gave the mains a bad reputation.

Round 1: The first round was quite while SM attempted, but failed, to fufill his first :contract and Frew built :crew and got a couple of :upgrade's but remained uncommitted to any course of action.

Round 2: With the threat of piracy looming this round both Frew and SM built up their :crew. Frew managed to get a few more :upgrade's and SM got out some Ablative Armor. The successful piracy attack (dealing only 1 damage) did not deter SM from his mission and he scored 3 :vp.

Round 3 & 4: A blur of activity saw SM picking up a few more :vp's but at great cost as Frew's activities were costing him quite a bit of :ev. The piracy actions were getting more serious by this point, with :av's of 6 or 7. along with increased :av there were also increased :dv's on SM's part so that damage from the piracy never really did more than 3 or 4 :ev in damage.

Round 5: SM was on the brink of bankruptcy and Frew's :ship fully decked out with :upgrade's. SM attempted a :contract but was tripped up by a :complication that required a resource needed to complete the :contract. Meanwhile, Frew attacked with 10 :av to SM's 7 :dv, which included his last Ablative Armor. By the end of the round his deck was depleted, but he was not out.

Round 6: Battered and bruised, SM managed to etch out some final :vp's for a total of 11 while Frew dealt a final, massive 12 :av attack. With nothing left to defend with, the 11 damage put SM out of business and solidified this subsector as being controlled by pirates. With the mains being abandoned by traders and world after world being marked with travel advisories, this area of space teeters towards interstellar isolation.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

SolomanMedici

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Boardgamegeek Rating
Term 1
Medals:5

Re: First Multi-Player Game with Customized Decks

Post by SolomanMedici » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 am

Well that hurt. I think my :ship just exploded! :oops:
I was expecting a stiff fight but the piracy tactic abetted by the Trouble on the Mains deck was surprisingly powerful. Something I had not encountered in solo play of course.
There was of course a certain 'luck of the draw'. I think another game played with the same decks might yield very different results. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)
“I don't always play card games, but when I do I play Traveller CCG”
-- The Most Interesting Man in the Imperium

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 am

Well, the fact that you had a resource needed for completion of the :contract taken away by a :complication on 3 of the 6 rounds of play certainly didn't help your cause. That was brutal, and, I must point out, all from your own deck ;) Now that's luck of the draw!

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 am

Sounds like a rough game for the poor Subsidized Merchant! I'd be interested in seeing the decklist for that one.

Was piracy always just :ev damage, or was it also used to peel off :upgrade?

In an interesting way, I feel :av may be one response to piracy decks, by targeting :av sources on the attacking vessel.

Frewfrux

Term 3

Post by Frewfrux » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Horizon Jeff wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 am
I took out an added crew quarters to get rid of a :crew, but I also killed a crew that round, so it wasn't quite the death-by-vacuum I was going for. The rest went to :ev (that's the whole point of that deck).
Horizon Jeff wrote:
In an interesting way, I feel :av may be one response to piracy decks, by targeting :av sources on the attacking vessel.
Yes, and it might have helped SolomonMedici too had he got any of those cards out. However, he seemed to only use those cards for making :ev payments to get other cards out. ;)

SolomanMedici

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Boardgamegeek Rating
Term 1
Medals:5

Post by SolomanMedici » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Horizon Jeff wrote:
Sounds like a rough game for the poor Subsidized Merchant! I'd be interested in seeing the decklist for that one.

Will post my deck soon.

I believe that Captain Frewfrux's strategy was purely to drive me to bankruptcy by :ev damage, which worked amazingly well.

I had included Q-Ship conversion :internal x2 and Defensive Mines :hardpoint in my deck with intent of using them to take out some of the pirate's :av capability. Alas they never came to my hand and so I could not play them. :(

Another problem was with defence. Improvised Defenses :internal never came to hand, but I had stacked my deck with lots of Ablative Armor :hull, Reap the Whirlwind :heroics, and Glancing Shot :event cards, which did help to keep the damage down for the first few rounds. But these are all single use cards and once they were gone my poor Subbie :ship was effectively naked. By that point Frewfrux had established a truly awesome offensive ability. Did not think I would ever see such high :av numbers in the game. My :ship is now an expanding debris field in some forgotten corner of the Spinward Main. :shock:

Despite the one-sided outcome it was a fun game. And it was definitely a good learning experience!
“I don't always play card games, but when I do I play Traveller CCG”
-- The Most Interesting Man in the Imperium