Favorite Traveller Character?

Wax poetical about our favorite sci-fi RPG, Traveller!
Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Favorite Traveller Character?

Post by Frewfrux » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:54 pm

For those of you who have played the Traveller RPG (in any of its many forms), what was your favorite Traveller character?

I'll start off (because, you know, I'm starting the thread and all).

I forget the name of the character, but the setting was TNE and he was, basically, a relic hunter (a glorified scavenger, grave robber to some) with just enough computer empathy that he could 'sense' Virus in relics, if it was there. That gave him the confidence to pursue, and use, said relics. Once, he came across a relic of The Ancients. It was small, 15 cm in diameter, metal disk that had a significant gravitational pull (significant considering its size) in about a 30 cm sphere around it.

He never could reverse-engineer the thing and the best use he came up with for it was as a coaster. Due to the gravitational pull it emitted it prevented drinks from ever spilling, regardless of the pilot's sporadic maneuvering.
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Re: Favorite Traveller Character?

Post by Horizon Jeff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:20 am

TNE is my favorite setting, but my favorite character is still my first Traveller, a humble Scout who mustered out with a Type S. I was fairly young at the time, so there wasn't anything particularly distinctive about him, but I just remember thinking it was so cool that I had my own little ship and could go wherever I wanted.

Baron_Gerry_Rail

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Boardgamegeek Rating YouTube
Term 1
Medals:5

Post by Baron_Gerry_Rail » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:37 am

As a referee I've had some favourite PC's, and their moments in the sun.

One guy was a cousin once removed to the Emperor Strephon. He was running around the Spinward Marches somewhat like one of the earlier emperor's who was a one-man trouble shooting team for the Imperium. So this character was doing that, but on a smaller scale, and unofficial. I introduced him as Marine like the others, but he somehow looks famliar. (aka, pull out your currency or postage stamps, and there's a family resemblance).

One of the marines twigged to it a few months later, and, while keeping the secret, bascially assigned himself as an unwanted Security Guard. No matter WHAT the "cousin" did, he would step thru doors first, check out ahead of things, and basically ensure he'd take the first bullet. Drove the "cousin" crazy!

Another player was created thru IBIS, (Imperial Bureau of Internal Security) and had a rank of about O12 or so. This was in my "super spy" campaign set before and during the Fifth Frontier War. The "cousin" story was in that same campaign btw. Anyway, the Imperium has fought it's way back, and is preparing to assault/retake Regina. The players, well some of them, are in the high level planning meeting, delivering their intell (having just returned from there) and generally sitting in on the IN and IM planning session for the assault. My ex-Navy Captain asks if he can lead the first assault squadron into Regina. I'm thinking about it when I notice the IBIS O12 player, who's sitting at the back of the room, nod his head once. The guys see me focus behind them, and then say "Yes",. Immediately after that the players look around, wondering what I was looking at. Nothing to see. So the ex-Marine Commander asks "Can I lead the Jump Troop Assault?" Without thinking I immediately look up and back at my IBIS O12, who nods once and freezes. EVERYONE else in the room spins around, what the hell am I looking at? The ex-Marine Major? How could he be deciding things? Why is the Referee checking with one of the other players?

Great moment!
1) :tech+ :admin-
2) "Travelling" since 1978.
3) tc+, mt, 23++, ru+, ge+, 3I++, c, jt+, au, ls, pi+, ta+, he, kk, hi, as+, va+, dr+, ith-. vr,ne??, so+, zh+, vl+, da+,sy++
4) Homeport: Toronto/Canada/Terra/Sol/Solomani Rim

Frewfrux

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Facebook
Term 3
Medals:6

Post by Frewfrux » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:46 pm

Sounds like fun! I especially love the idea of the "unwanted security guard." :lol:
tn+ru+ge+!3ic-jt-au+pita*he+

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:23 am

Have any of you set a campaign outside the Imperium (but still in the standard Traveller universe)? I've always thought it would be interesting to do an Aslan campaign.

Rraurgrimm

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer

Post by Rraurgrimm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:11 am

I did (and at infrequent, irregular times still do) play an Imperial fteirle - read Aslan - in our GURPS-Traveller campaign set in the Islands Cluster, Reft Sector - some might recall it from the Trillion Credit Squadron game but the Setting has been modified a bit by the GM. Beginning in 1120, we were part of the crew of a starship meant as a testbed for a later cluster-wide patrol and police force, working for a loose Confederation of several worlds inside the Cluster in collaboration with the Imperium. The four characters did make a name for themselves by coincidentally saving the later Captain of said ship, the CSS Vidocq. Things became problematic as right before the arrival in the Cluster, the ship carrying most of the equipment had been highjacked by pirates... - and my character did learn that their leader was her brother. Several encounters and many years later, having finished their first tour of duty inside the Cluster and more or less retiring for various reasons, our characters did return in 1127 because all of them were included in the rather cryptical private testament of that pirate.
The political intrigue, signs of yet another war between the Confederation worlds and those feeling threatened by the existence of such a growing alliance inside the Cluster that might be averted, secret agencies attempting to place political blame on another to goad them into a war, a lost Droyne colony, occasional murder mysteries and quite a lot of conspiracies on a (mega-)corporate level - and traces of the rumored missing last generation ship of the original settlers who all came from Earth... - I still love the campaign, even after well over a decade of real life years of playing.
The character would be the former ISS member and Imperial fteirle, Siroyoah of the clan Kherakhoitrlyewo. Specializing in sensors and communications, her previous experiences in the field did help her with negotiations in countless situations - and despite another fteirle-clan active (one who hers grudgingly owes allegiance to) in the Cluster, the close combat abilities and the predatory dash came as a welcome surprise at times.
"History never learns by itself - but it may teach those who dare to listen."

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:33 pm

That sounds really interesting. I especially like how there seems to be the sense that the actions of the characters play out on a larger scale!

Susurrus

Free Trader Network Member Facebook Twitter
Medals:3

Post by Susurrus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:41 am

The Olde Favourite:

Baron Johann Thetaor BB97DC Navy Commander (Ret.)

Terms Served : 6

Engineering-4, Navigation-3, Pilot-2, Gunnery-2, Broadsword-1, J-o-T-1

Susurrus

Free Trader Network Member Facebook Twitter
Medals:3

Post by Susurrus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 am

The newer favorite, used in a Play-By-Post:

Brace yourselves...

Susurrus, Droyne Sport 866F75

Terms Served: 19!

Unarmed Combat-4, Flying-4, Liaison-4, Vacc Suit-4, J-o-T-3, Grav Vehicle-3, Demolition-2, Helicopter-2, Medical-2, Navigation-2, Revolver-2, Submersible-2, Tracked Vehicle-2, Blade-1, Body Pistol-1, Dagger-1, Hunting-1, Laser Carbine-1, Leader-1, Prospecting-1, Wheeled Vehicle-1, Computer-1, Pilot-1

Teleportation-7, Inner Eye-1, Invisibility-0, Homing-0

And he's oooolllddd!!!

Horizon Jeff

Term 4

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 am

I love the Hunting-1 he's got. Did he take up hunting in old age, or was it something he did way back and never kept up with it? Who can tell...