Multi-player mode

Post your decklists, dissect the meta, and gripe about OP cards.
Your Buddy Chester

Free Trader Network Member Event Organizer Event Participant
Term 1
Medals:3
Player Locator:Enrolled in the Player Locator
Multi-player mode

Post by Your Buddy Chester » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:06 pm

At DunDraCon, we tried an aspect of TCCG we hadn’t attempted before – multiple player format. It turned out to be quite different than what I had expected.

I’ve been playing MTG since Antiquities came out. One venue of play I NEVER enjoyed was multi-player (until the 2-Headed Giant format was formalized). Multi-player ccg tends to be ‘kill the leader’ and then the nastiness follows. In a free-for-all game where the goal is to *defeat* each of the other players, this sort of play dynamic is inevitable.

Traveller CCG has a *different* goal for victory. You are responsible for attaining your own victory. Not that you can’t mess with your opponent… you can. But you *still* have to attain your own victory.

Victory conditions are the missing piece of the puzzle to satisfying group play in most ccg dynamics (at least where Traveller is concerned). Regardless of any Complications on your chosen Adventure (whether played on yourself or by your opponent), the goal to victory remains in your hands. In regards to the current Adventure, you’ll either get there, or you won’t. That’s what the next round is for.

By being ultimately responsible for your own victory (regardless of what your opponents are doing), the dynamics of group play are completely different. No more ‘kill-the-leader-then-kill-the-next-guy’. Nor is group play here a ‘co-operative win’ type of game. Rather it is almost a new animal, where the more = the merrier.

Now, instead of 4 Adventures (2 of which YOU had to play), there are 4 Adventures, only 1 of which you have to display. The other 3 are totally random and unexpected (because your opponents put them out from each of their decks). You will often find yourself chasing Adventures you hadn’t anticipated – some of which are VERY beneficial to you as a Captain.

There will even be opportunities for you to chase Adventures with only ONE Complication on them instead of the max of 2 or 3… it happens in multi-play much more often that in head-to-head.

And while the ‘meta-game’ of 4 players is decidedly different, it is every bit as satisfying, exciting, and… much more unexpected… as the basic game with just 2 players.

One aspect of engaging in multi-player is that your odds of running against a Piratical opponent are much higher in a group of 4… plan your deck accordingly. I suggest you have a separate deck, just built for 4 player with combat cards – the Broadsword might be a good choice of ship for this crew in a multi-player setting.

If you haven’t tried multi-player in your play group, don’t hesitate. I promise you’ll enjoy the experience!

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Re: Multi-player mode

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:45 am

I really enjoyed our four player game at DDC. As I recall, you were one turn from victory, but then went bankrupt and Ian took it.

Wargfn

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Shadow Easter Egg Easter Egg Community Honor Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Google+ Pinterest Reddit
Twitter YouTube
Term 3
Medals:12

Post by Wargfn » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 am

One thing I wondered about this and seeing the 4 player mode is this, How did you track which :contract a specific captain was pursuing? When I play solo, I just use one of the tokens. But I was thinking about making a marker for this purpose.

Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Medals:2

Post by Horizon Jeff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 am

Wargfn wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 am
One thing I wondered about this and seeing the 4 player mode is this, How did you track which :contract a specific captain was pursuing? When I play solo, I just use one of the tokens. But I was thinking about making a marker for this purpose.
We just put our ships next to the :contract. I know some people have used miniatures.

Your Buddy Chester

Free Trader Network Member Event Organizer Event Participant
Term 1
Medals:3

Post by Your Buddy Chester » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:45 pm

We put our ship next to the :contract we are following, as in regular play. When more than one Captain is pursuing the same :contract , it definitely makes for interesting play.

I never thought about using minis to mark which :contract I'm following. That gives me an EXCELLENT idea for some little counters (with the ship art on them)! :mrgreen:

Jeff - the game you referenced was almost won by me, but somebody went after the same :contract as me, preventing me from getting the one extra :vp I needed to win, and another Captain squeaked past me on the final round. It was a valuable lesson in how to prevent an opponent winning when you're neck-and-neck with them!