Least Favorite Cards

General Discussion for the Traveller Customizable Card Game community.
Post Reply
User avatar
Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am
Medals: 2
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Least Favorite Cards

Post by Horizon Ian » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 am

May be hard for playtesters to notice, but Jeff and I are still working on card ideas.

One thing that we run into frequently is our biases in terms of what we like and dislike in customizable card games. But, we don't represent a large enough sample size to reflect the audience.

I know cards that are useless in solo play are not desirable to some. What are people's least favorite cards, otherwise?

You, too, can help shape future products while we are in design and development. Whether we try to keep in mind avoiding cards that are particularly disliked or whether we think of ways to try to make the disliked cards more likable by having more cards interact with them.

If someone wants to start a thread of favorite cards, we won't stop you.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

electronjon

Free Trader Network Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:58 am
Medals: 1
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by electronjon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:54 am

Well, I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with the card pool, but Thulse is one I've struggled to use. The access to :combat+ for :credit1 is nice, but I have yet to find a use for him beyond his icon and his hit points. Once I start comparing him to other cards with :combat+ , it gets hard to make a case for him: Gorbash at least has an additional use from hand and can use a much broader selection of :gear . Walter Glen costs :credit3 but can inflict :wounds equal to that 2-cost differential every round.

I'm not above using a low-cost chump blocker if need be, but considering the limited amount of :crew one can have in play, it's a hard case to make room in a deck for a :crew card that doesn't have a benefit other than an icon and hit points.

User avatar
Horizon Ian

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 3
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am
Medals: 2
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by Horizon Ian » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:02 am

electronjon wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:54 am
Well, I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with the card pool, but Thulse is one I've struggled to use. The access to :combat+ for :credit1 is nice, but I have yet to find a use for him beyond his icon and his hit points. Once I start comparing him to other cards with :combat+ , it gets hard to make a case for him: Gorbash at least has an additional use from hand and can use a much broader selection of :gear . Walter Glen costs :credit3 but can inflict :wounds equal to that 2-cost differential every round.

I'm not above using a low-cost chump blocker if need be, but considering the limited amount of :crew one can have in play, it's a hard case to make room in a deck for a :crew card that doesn't have a benefit other than an icon and hit points.
Thanks.

Re: Thulse

I like him more than Jeff does. Do you normally play solo or with 2+ players? Sounds like 2+ if dealing wounds matters.

What I find as I've played against a lot of crew removal is that he's ... I could say resilient. Sure, he's not particularly difficult to remove, but you have to actually remove him unlike doing economic damage with other crew. Plus, the lower cost does feel impactful, to where I'm more inclined to run lower cost crew in general. The drawback does come up, so there is that. I actually think more cards should be like him where the card is not obviously good nor bad, but customizable card games are all about "good cards squeeze out bad" where it's common to see the same cards played all of the time.

He does come up every time we consider new :combat+ :crew . We try to review what already exists when determining whether something new is clearly better or worse than comps and we like to argue about where Thulse is on the spectrum.
:connection
Ian Lee
Lead Developer
:connection

User avatar
Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 pm
Medals: 2
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by Horizon Jeff » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 pm

I don't tend to use Thulse much either, but in his defense, you could give him an Honor Blade or a Combat Knife and then he'd be a cheap :wounds inflicting source. And he could always do Aggravated Assault.

electronjon

Free Trader Network Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:58 am
Medals: 1
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by electronjon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:01 am

Thanks for the thoughts! Mostly, I've played solo with a few games of 2 player - albeit with me playing both sides of the table.

Thulse strikes me as a card that gets more useful as the adventure card pool gets deeper. Easy to splash in for access to :combat- or :combat+ to solve :contract or :subplot. Until then, with limited crew slots and a large deck size, I've been tending toward slightly more expensive crew that give me more utility out of the gate.

User avatar
Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 am
Medals: 7
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by Cpt Ric » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:26 pm

I know cards that are useless in solo play are not desirable to some. . Who, Me? :D

The chat about Thulse got me thinking about :crew in general, and certainly I like :crew with more then just a skill to add if possible. I've used Thulse as a cheap way to get :combat- on my crew but as discussed with the limited numbers of :crew it's tough to take on someone with only "one" thing to offer. And as a nearly always solo player, being able to deal :wounds isn't typically a high enough priority to take him on.

I find I don't use the Drop Capsules :internal as they are too expensive for a one time use :upgrade. If I need to generate :military, I'll take the LSP Mulit-Phased Array :internal instead, its a little cheaper to install ( :credit2 vs :credit3 ) and it does have a cost to use ( :credit2 ) but it's reusable, and it gives me :militarysurvey to boot. The cost of :credit3 for the Drop Capsules with its "once and done" use doesn't seem like a a good trade off to me. The :vp boost is nice from the Drop Capsules, but that is an either or thing, I can't get both the :military and the :vp boost.

Traveller-Jake

Free Trader Network Member Easter Egg
Term 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:30 am
Medals: 2
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by Traveller-Jake » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 am

Drop Capsules do have the advantage that they are Trifling while the sensor suite takes up an :internal slot. :credit3 for a :vp seems like a pretty fair exchange on a ship that already generates :military, actually.

User avatar
Cpt Ric

Free Trader Network Member Kickstarter Backer Easter Egg Miscellaneous Contribution Boardgamegeek Rating Facebook Twitter
Term 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 am
Medals: 7
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by Cpt Ric » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 am

Traveller-Jake wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 am
Drop Capsules do have the advantage that they are Trifling while the sensor suite takes up an :internal slot. :credit3 for a :vp seems like a pretty fair exchange on a ship that already generates :military, actually.
Yes that is an excellent point, but I play the Beowulf (semimetal reasons mostly) often which doesn't generate :military so I'm on the look out for :upgrade that do.

User avatar
Horizon Jeff

Merchant Prince Free Trader Network Member
Term 4
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 pm
Medals: 2
Player Locator: Enrolled in the Player Locator

Re: Least Favorite Cards

Post by Horizon Jeff » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:38 pm

Cpt Ric wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 am
Traveller-Jake wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 am
Drop Capsules do have the advantage that they are Trifling while the sensor suite takes up an :internal slot. :credit3 for a :vp seems like a pretty fair exchange on a ship that already generates :military, actually.
Yes that is an excellent point, but I play the Beowulf (semimetal reasons mostly) often which doesn't generate :military so I'm on the look out for :upgrade that do.
Yeah, I think for ships that have enough slots, the permanent options are going to be more appealing. But for the Scout or the Bounty Hunter, that Trifling can make a lot of difference.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest